We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Cook in April

NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Cook in April

I'm looking at adding Mt Cook to my itinerary. I hate to drive several hours there and back but so many people say how pretty it (and Lindis Pass) is. It's sooo close to Fox glacier if only those darn mountains weren't blocking the way.

I don't want to do a glacier lake tour or go to Lake Tekapo. I'm not seeing anyone objecting to itineraries with only one night there or even day trips from Wanaka or Queenstown so is it safe to assume one day is adequate?

I also read that it's frequently covered in clouds. Is it still worth going if we wake up and the weather is bad that day? There's not many places to stay there but it would be nice to be there for sunrise/sunset so I'd like to spend the night. Would we need reservations in April (not Easter weekend)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Cook in April

We went in April and had wonderful clear day one day and woke up to snow covered the next. I recommend the boat tour on the glacier lake. Yes, I do recommend booking, and also staying at the village. There are a range of accommodation options such as camp ground, yha, lodge and hermitage.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Cook in April

It's hard to tell what the weather at Mt Cook is from Wanaka/QT. We had a day trip there with friends in the summer. We left an overcast Wanaka, had drizzle over the Lindis, but by the time we got to Cook there were only a few clouds and it turned out to be a blue sky day. Yes, you could do it as a day trip. We did, but it was a big day out. We want to go back and camp there for a few days next summer to do justice to the walks.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Cook in April

Aoraki/Mt Cook is only a 3 hour drive from Wanaka and yes, I love the Lindis Pass. Others find it stark, but I adore tussock country.

Enjoy :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Cook in April

I would not let the fact that the Lindis is called a Pass put you off. It is a gentle drive. The colours change with each season and it's always a real pleasure. Just watch your speed. This is a road that wispers, "go faster" to your car and where cops go to fill their quota. Well, if they don't, they could! (Try the Wrinkly Ram at Omarama for a coffee).

Aoraki Mt Cook is most often clear in the morning.

NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Cook in April

Thanks Mike. Good to know on the speed. My husband tends to have a lead foot. So is the weather there so unpredictable that you can't look at the radar the night before and have any kind of idea what to expect for the next day?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt Cook in April

"So is the weather there so unpredictable that you can't look at the radar the night before and have any kind of idea what to expect for the next day?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, that's how everyone described the weather to me on the entire South Island when I was there last year.

7. Re: Mt Cook in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:18