We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A clothing question..please help.

brisbane
Level Contributor
528 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
A clothing question..please help.

We will be travelling with 3 kids on the south Island in mid September for 2 weeks.The days we have on the snow fields are covered as we will hire boots and equipment. I will be packing thermals, fleeces and jackets but I'm not sure what to take to wear on our feet and I'm reluctant to outlay a lot of money for shoes the kids are likely not to get a lot of wear from.

Will joggers be fine for the other days or do you think we need to invest in hiking boots? We are not planning on doing any hiking as such. What did you wear to keep your footsy warm and snug!

Thoughts and recommendations will be greatly appreciated :)

We will be travelling from Dunedin, overs Arthurs Pass, down the west coast to the Glaziers and then onto Wanaka, Queenstown and back to Dunedin.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,838 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A clothing question..please help.

Sneakers will be fine. Even for short hikes joggers would suffice. The only time I wear anything other than regular shoes is when I go skiing,or head into the wilderness for a few weeks.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,058 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A clothing question..please help.

I suggest you spray the joggers with waterproof spray if you are in doubt. So if it is raining it will just give them a little more protection. Even when we are tramping we will often do that rather than hiking boots. But joggers should be fine, If it doubt wear some good merino socks and those feet will be snug and cosy!

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A clothing question..please help.

My kids wear sneakers year round.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,276 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A clothing question..please help.

Best to bring 2pairs of sneakers so that you can alternate if they get wet. Do they have a daggy pair of Converse etc that could be discarded if they get too muddy to return to AQIS? If you are not hiking then no need for hiking boots

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A clothing question..please help.

Yup, 2 pairs sneakers each. The other thing that can make a big difference to foot comfort is good quality hiking socks. Cotton socks are miserable if they get wet - they're heavy and cold and cause blisters.

brisbane
Level Contributor
528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A clothing question..please help.

Thanks everyone who responded :)

That a relief as I was wondering which kid to sell to kit the rest of us out in waterproof hiking boots!!!

7. Re: A clothing question..please help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 06:23