We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Week Itinerary Advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
313 reviews
Save Topic
1 Week Itinerary Advice

Me and my wife are planning a one week trip to South Island in March next year. I've done a first round of research and come up with a provisional itinerary. By way of background, this week will be preceded by some time in Australia and a couple of days in Wellington (to visit a relative). We are a young couple (early 30s), and we do tend to pack in a lot on our holidays - most people would say we are rushing things, but this has always worked out fine for us! The budget is fairly flexible (within reason!). We prefer 4/5 star accommodation where available.

DAY 1: fly into Nelson from Wellington, arriving at around 9am. Pick up a hire car and head towards Kaikoura. Stop in Blenheim for a couple of hours before arriving in Kaikoura by mid-afternoon. Visit the Ohau waterfall (en route) and Peninsula Walkway. Overnight in Kaikoura at Waves on the Esplanade.

DAY 2: early start (7:15am) for whale watching. Set off to Punakaiki by around 11am, aiming to arrive by late afternoon or early evening. Overnight near Punakaiki at the Bird's Ferry Lodge.

DAY 3: visit the Pancake Rocks at high tide (approx 10:30am), before heading off to Franz Josef. Arrive in Franz Josef by mid-afternoon for a 2 night stay at Te Waonui.

DAY 4: go for a basic level glacier walk in the morning - probably Fox Glacier due to the much lower costs. Visit the hot pools in the afternoon.

DAY 5: leave for Queenstown in the morning, aiming for a mid-afternoon arrival. Base ourselves at the Sofitel for the remaining 3 nights.

DAY 6: day trip to Milford Sound (go via bus, return via plane). Returning via plane should allow for some extra hours in Queenstown.

DAY 7: visit Wanaka, try out some sky diving(!)

DAY 8: part day in Queenstown. Flight to Sydney leaves at 5pm.

I figure that the first three days will be very tiring due to all the driving, but things should calm down a bit after that. I would be keen to hear any tips or advice that other travelers have, and in particular:

1) Blenheim - we are just passing through, so no time for a vineyard tour. Is there anything we could do here in 1-2 hours? Maybe just stroll around the center? Perhaps have lunch at a winery?

2) Franz Josef - it seems like there aren't any activities apart from the glacier walks and hot pools. What else would you do here to fill half a day or so?

3) Are there are any other higher end accommodation options worth considering in Kaikoura and Punakaiki?

4) We would like to include one helicopter ride at some point (one of the less expensive ones, i.e. no more than 20-30 min duration). They seem to offer helicopter rides in multiple cities - which would be the best place to do it (I will have to weigh it up against Uluru as well, which we will be visiting earlier in the trip). I am leaning towards either Wanaka or Uluru at the moment.

Thanks very much!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Week Itinerary Advice

You have the makings of an exciting trip, but you have me puzzled by some of your choices.

You fly to Nelson to instantly drive off. Why not simply fly into Blenheim?

You drive through Wanaka enroute to Queenstown - a very long drive from Franz - then later turn around and head back to Wanaka!

Why not;

1 fly to Blenheim, drive to Kaikoura

2 drive to Punakaiki

3 drive to Franz

4 explore

5 drive to Wanaka - allow 6 hours with a couple of quick stops

6 heli-tour, skydive then drive to Queenstown...

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g612500-d121…

jl_ck
Level Contributor
92 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Week Itinerary Advice

Hi, we do things at quite a pace but this will be quick. Just to comment n the first part, in July we flew into Nelson earlier this year, and stayed three nights and then went from Nelson to Kaikoura in the one day. It was definitely doable but would suggest at least one Day in Nelson. On the trip to Kaikoura a local recommended that we stop at the Omaka aviation museum near Blenhiem, while not normally my type of thing it is really worth the visit. This was really our only stop on the way, it is great driving into Kaikora and seeing the seals resting in the rocks.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Week Itinerary Advice

I agree. If you're not going to stay and do anything in Nelson, fly to Blenheim, and save a few hours driving by stopping in Wanaka for a night.

Franz Josef has lots to do besides the glacier and hot pools! Lots of great short walks, Okarito Lagoon kayaking, White Heron tours, night walks to see kiwi in the wild, scenic flights, horse riding, quad biking, rafting ... we plan to spend six nights at Franz Josef on our trip after next. http://www.glaciercountry.co.nz/

London, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Week Itinerary Advice

Flying into Blenheim - good idea, I don't know why I overlooked that! My wife is a non-drinker, so taking that into account, any suggestions for how to spend half a day in Blenheim?

I will take a look at Omaka aviation, thanks...

Regarding Wanaka, I was thinking it would be nice to base ourselves in one place (i.e. Queenstown) for 3 nights, given all the unpacking/repacking we would have been doing on previous days. Although you do have a point that we would save 2-3 hours of driving by stopping over in Wanaka. I'll think about that one a bit more!

5. Re: 1 Week Itinerary Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 05:19