We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holidaying/Campervan after Christmas - good time period?

Sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Holidaying/Campervan after Christmas - good time period?

All,

We're planning to campervan across South Island straight after Christmas i.e. arrive around 28th December and leave around 11th January.

Apart from flights that would be more costly at that time is there anything else that would be hard to organise or do over that time period? For example, would the camping sites be more expensive? would the sites be full and hard to get a booking... and so on..

Just some thoughts as I have never been to NZ and not sure what to look out for at that time of the year (assuming that this time of the year is just as popular as it is in Australia)

Thanks in advance for any comments

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holidaying/Campervan after Christmas - good time period?

Yes, it's peak holiday time for NZers. Things won't be more expensive, but you might need to plan ahead and book popular places. It depends where you are going to go. If using a campervan, you should be able to ring just a day or so ahead for a site. Things like cabins, and the cheaper accommodation places tend to sell out first. The exception to this will be places like Kaiteriteri (Abel Tasman) and other places where NZers camp for a week or two, so that's mainly the beaches of the Nelson area, and Wanaka /QT around New year itself.

Cairns
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Holidaying/Campervan after Christmas - good time period?

One thing that is expensive at that time of year is the cost of the campervan.

I have been through the whole exercise of campervanning in NZ (twice before) and am about to head over in 4 weeks time with the family for a couple of weeks again - 3rd time in a campervan.

For the time of year I am hiring (21 Sept - 1 Oct) I am getting a fully self contained 4 berth merc camper for $86NZ/day. The same camper over the period you are going is $294NZ/day (with 10% discount!). Despite that massive seasonal cost difference, they book up pretty quick!

It is a great way of getting around in our opinion, but at that cost, we would car/apartment instead.

Like Telly says, the tourist hotspots/attractions (qtwn etc) would probably need bookings ahead.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Holidaying/Campervan after Christmas - good time period?

Another factor to bear in mind is that holiday parks will be full of families. If you are travelling with kids you might find that an advantage (lots of playmates around) but if you are a couple looking forward to a quiet break you may find it a disadvantage.

Sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holidaying/Campervan after Christmas - good time period?

Thanks All,

Some good comments here.

I understand the higher rate for the campervan during that time - no choice for alternative dates for us unfortunately. We will be traveling in a group so it is kids with holidays :)

I guess the next step is to work on itinerary, 14 days sound a lot but there is a lot of driving around to go around the island so I need to work on that part and make some hard decisions I guess.

Thanks for the replies.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holidaying/Campervan after Christmas - good time period?

Yep, search on here for 14 day itineraries. There are lots of suggestions and variations.

Cairns
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Holidaying/Campervan after Christmas - good time period?

There's a few active threads going at the moment on the forum that have good info from resident experts here on itineraies around 14 days.

7. Re: Holidaying/Campervan after Christmas - good time period?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:22