My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in South Island later this year. This forum has already been immensely helpful to come up with a tentative itinerary:
31 Dec – Arrive at Auckland by flight & fly out to Christchurch
1 Jan – Explore Christchurch
2 Jan – Drive to Nelson & explore
3 Jan – Abel Tasman
4 Jan – Drive to Franz Josef
5 Jan – Explore, Lake Matheson, Helihike
6 Jan – Drive to Wanaka, explore, stay the night
7 Jan – Drive to Queenstown, explore
8 Jan – Adventure sports in & around Queenstown, explore
9 Jan – Drive to Te Anau, see Glow Worm Caves
10 Jan – Day trip to Milford Sound, stay the night at Te Anau
11 Jan – Drive to Dunedin, explore
12 Jan – Day trip to Catlins, stay the night at Dunedin
13 Jan – Fly back to Auckland for return flight to Bombay
1. Are we packing too much in a short time?
2. I'm planning to rent a drive from Christchurch. Is it possible to return it in Dunedin?
3. Will the drive from Nelson to Franz Josef be a little too much in a day?
4. Punakaiki & Mt. Cook are the two other places we were considering. Would you suggest skipping any of the places in the itinerary in favor of either of the two I mentioned?
5. Any other suggestions? :)