We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tranz Alpine v driving

sandhurst
Level Contributor
40 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Tranz Alpine v driving

We are doing a fly drive holiday in April 2014 of both North and South Island. We would like to travel from Christchurch to Franz Josef. Should we drive of go by train?

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tranz Alpine v driving

the train would get you only from Christchurch to Greymouth . from greymouth you would still need to drive the 2 hours or so to Franz Josef. The drive is spectacular, and you will probably get better rental car deals directly out of Chch. the drive from Chch to Franz josef is about 5 hours total

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tranz Alpine v driving

I'd do the drive just to be able to stop and see the kea in Arthur's Pass. It's a pretty drive and super easy (unless maybe it was icy or something).

sandhurst
Level Contributor
40 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tranz Alpine v driving

Will the roads be okay at the end of April?

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tranz Alpine v driving

Unless the weather gods are being particularly cruel, yes.

sandhurst
Level Contributor
40 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tranz Alpine v driving

Thank you for all your replies

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tranz Alpine v driving

While all of Arthurs Pass (HW73) is great, the bit between Arthurs Pass Village and Otira is the best bit. On the train you will be in a tunnel. To be fair I have not been on the Trans Alpine so I can't compare.

I will however try the train in the winter. Not because the road is uinsafe (its not) but because you could just kick back with a glass of wine and soak in the senery.

7. Re: Tranz Alpine v driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 06:33