We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks trip in December

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
2 weeks trip in December

Hi trip advisers!

My wife and I are traveling from Singapore to NZ from 19 Dec to 02 Jan. Here is the itinerary i have planned so far. I am about to book the hotels but would like your opinion before i do. We are in our mid 30s, love outdoor activities and good food :)

19 Dec: Landing Christchurch 12:30pm. Go to hotel and relax

20 Dec: Rent a car and drive to Punakaiki via Arthur's Pass. Stay Punakaiki

21 Dec: hike around Paparoa National Park. Stay Punakaiki

22 Dec: Drive to Wanaka (long drive) via Haast Pass. Stay Wanaka

23 Dec: Explore Wanaka. Go Skydiving!. Stay Wanaka

24 Dec: Drive to Queenstown. Explore. Stay Queenstown

25 Dec: Go bungy jumping (are they open on Xmas day?). Stay Queenstown.

26 Dec: Drive to Te Anau. Visit glow worm caves. Stay Te Anau

27 Dec: Do Milford Sound kayaking. Stay Te Anau.

28 Dec: Drive to Dunedin (Otago Peninsula). Explore. Stay Otago Peninsula

29 Dec: Hike around Otago. Stay Otago Peninsula

30 Dec: Drive to Christchurch. Relax. Stay Christchurch

31 Dec: Relax, explore city. Stay Christchurch

01 Jan: Day trip to Banks Peninsula. Stay Christchurch

02 Jan: Fly back to Singapore.

What do you think? Is it too much driving?

The Punakaiki to Wanaka drive worries me a bit but if we do a break half way around Franz Josef is it safe enough?

Thanks in advance for your help and your suggestions.

Cheers,

Damien

Mentioned in this post
Paparoa National Park
Paparoa National Park
27 Reviews
South Island, New Zealand
Haast Pass
Haast Pass
133 Reviews
South Island, New Zealand
California
Level Contributor
9,614 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks trip in December

I'd take off one of the nights in Christchurch (the city is still rebuilding after the earthquakes) and add a night at either Fox of Franz Josef Glacier. Then you can relax and enjoy the drive to Wanaka without being rushed.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks trip in December

It's a very long drive from Punakaiki to Wanaka - plus you rush through the glacier towns. You won't have time to enjoy the stunning scenery along the way. Yes, you are best to break the journey at either Fox or Franz Josef.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,670 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks trip in December

I don't really think there is enought to do for 2 nights at Punakaiki, lovely as it is, so yes add a night at FJ or Fox Glacier to break the journey (either by taking it off Punakaiki or as suggested before, off Chch). There are lovely walks, eg Lake Matheson or longer hikes eg Roberts Point. You don't have to do a glacier hike.

Best to allow a full day for the very scenic drive glaciers to Wanaka (if it is not raining;-()

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks trip in December

I would take a night off Chch for Franz Josef. If you like hiking, there are good walks around Punakaiki. …govt.nz/Documents/parks-and-recreation/trac…

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks trip in December

Thanks a lot for the quick answers.

I will follow your advices and stop for 1 night at Franz Josef on the way to Wanaka and take out 1 night in Christchurch.

6. Re: 2 weeks trip in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:17