We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice please :)

Tweed Coast
Level Contributor
157 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice please :)

We are currently in Kaiteriteri and absolutely loving this amazing country. Our plan for the next week is as follows:

19/9 Kaiteriteri to Punakaiki or Hokitika

20/9 Fox Glacier

21-22/9 Wanaka

23-24/9 Te Anau

25-29/9 Queenstown

My question is this - should I stick with the above itinerary considering the weather system predicted to hit the West Coast Friday or should we consider an alternate route? We don't have any accommodation booked other than Queenstown.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,631 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

Hi Jacaluke :)

Check road conditions tomorrow when you are in Punakaiki - the Haast Pass between Fox and Wanaka is due to reopen Friday - possibly just one lane wiil be open so there might be delays. stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/transport/9175817…

Do take care on the road... and obey all road signs... you might see some police activity on the Haast Road... www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm…

Oz
Level Contributor
13,578 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

Hi,

The west coast could still be "problematic". Check conditions before starting that leg of your trip. The Haast Hwy between Haast and Wanaka is still closed by a slip.

…govt.nz/traffic/…

Cheers,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,631 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

I tried to edit my post above but it wouldn't let me...

to answer your question - if the road is open I would stick with your planned route.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

If the road is closed I think you'd be best to drop Te Anau, so you can have an enjoyable trip around Arthur's Pass rather than racing to get there.

21 - Arthur's Pass

22 - Mt Cook

23 - Mt Cook (stay for walks if it's a great day) OR Wanaka (drive on if it's not)

24 - Wanaka

25 - Queenstown

Or if you were planning on going to Mt Cook after Queenstown, you could go via Oamaru and/or Dunedin instead.

If it's pouring on the 20th and the Haast road still isn't open you might want to skip the glaciers and go direct to Arthur's Pass. This will reduce your driving and give you another day to play with.

If you still want to see Fiordland you could do a day trip to Milford from Queenstown.

5. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 05:19