We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 2014 - Fly fishing ao activities

Pretoria, SA
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
June 2014 - Fly fishing ao activities

I need to plan a trip to book the air tickets for a visit in June 2014 and will appreciate your input a lot.

It will be my husbands introduction to NZ and I want him to experience the best there is to offer.

Have no idea what to expect weather wise. It seems that it is uncertain whether there are snow at that time of the year. I was hoping that, it being cold, the mountains will be covered with snow.

We are in our fifties. My husband's hobbies includes photography and fly fishing. Where will be the best place to go for fly fishing, north and south islands included?

We will coming in through Auckland, from where we will attend a wedding in Fiji at the end of our vacation.

I was thinking about flying to Queensland and spent a few days there with trips to Milford Sound,

Wanaka and Aoraki/ Mt Cook. Is the time of year fine to visit there? Maybe we could then drive to Christchurch and Blenheim visiting the wine farms and back as far as Wellington and fly back from there?

It seems that the weather on the North Island is wet and windy, that is why I am concentrating on the South Island. I did a trip in NZ in November and there was too much to experience and everything was green. It was amazing.This time around I do not have a clue how to make the most of the available approximate 10 days.

Please help!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 2014 - Fly fishing ao activities

You will be hard pushed to cover your wish list in the South Island in just 10 days, especially if you plan to fly into Queensland - which is in Australia and so not ideal for exploring Milford Sound.

one possibility;

1 arrive Queenstown

2 explore/wine tour?

3 drive to Te Anau, glow worm caves

4 explore Milford Sound, stay Te Anau

5 drive to Wanaka

6 excellent fishing

7 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook - more fishing

8 explore Tasman glacier and icebergs

9 drive to Chch

10 fly out

The mountains should be snow capped and the scenery stunning.

Happy travels :)

Oz
Level Contributor
13,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 2014 - Fly fishing ao activities

Hi,

I'm afraid that you may have to rethink your timing as the fly fishing season doesn't open until October the first in most areas. :-(

nzfishing.com/AboutFishingInNZ/TheFishingYea…

Cheers,

Pretoria, SA
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: June 2014 - Fly fishing ao activities

Thank You for the informative feedback!

My apologies, Queenstown;-)

The itinerary looks like a good basis to work on. Thanks.

If we sleep over at Te Anau, and does Milford Sound first thing in the morning,

Will it be possible to drive back to QT that same afternoon, or will the shorter daylight hours be against us?

I appreciate the comment that the scenery will also be stunning at that time of the year...

One can visit Arrow Town on the way to Wanaka.

The NZfishing link is very useful. It seems that it will be better to extend our NZ trip and spend a few days

on the NI as well and have a look around and do the fly fishing there.

I am starting to see the light! Thanks again.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 2014 - Fly fishing ao activities

best bus to Milford Sound from Te Anau - the road is subject to ice, snow, slips and avalanches. let the bus driver handle the alpine conditions - they have speacial training, while you enjoy the scenery. The bus tour with cruise from Te Anau is about 8 hours.

Can you drive to Q'town after the tour? best not drive after dark as icy roads are pretty slick.

if wanting extra time in Queenstown then;

1 arrive Queenstown

2 explore

3 more

4 bus/cruise/bus Milford Sound - 13 hour tour

5 drive to Wanaka...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 2014 - Fly fishing ao activities

I just wanted to pipe in and say if your husband is into photography, maybe a photo tour instead of fly fishing.

We used this person when we were in Queenstown, hubby is talking about flying back for a workshop: http://www.photosafari.co.nz/

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 2014 - Fly fishing ao activities

The Greater Taupo area is consider the capital of trout fishing in NZ, and you can fish there in the winter months. You need a licence to fish, and you must make sure all your gear is clean.

greatlaketaupo.com/new-zealand/…

There are also plenty of photo opportunities in the area, from the volcanoes in the Central Plateau to the geothermal features in Rotorua.

Pretoria, SA
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: June 2014 - Fly fishing ao activities

Thank you for this very informative feedback.

The photo safari will then be the planned highlight for QT. Great idea.

I will plan our NI trip around the greater Taupo area. Thanks for giving that part of the trip direction.

WL, when travelling to SI last year, you gave the name of a smaller company in Te Anau whose services we used to travel to Milford Sound. They were excellent, but I cannot remember the name any more, Trippers..something? Please advise. If we do sleep over at Te Anau in the end, I would like to travel with them again. Or is the busses still the better option in June?

Driving from QT to Wanaka, Would the higher road be safe to drive during June, taking in consideration that we are not used to icy conditions? We travelled on that road from Wanaka to Arrow Town/QT in Nov last year, and except for the last few sharp bends, that one goes very slow, that road was actually not bad at all to drive. Or do you sugest that we travel by the longer road?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 2014 - Fly fishing ao activities

Trips and Tramps perhaps?

Wait and see what the weather is doing before deciding on the Crown Range. It is often fine to drive in June - just not early morning or late evening when the ice forms. So check weather and road conditions and then decide.

I think the Crown Range easier to drive when heading towards Wanaka - you have steep uphill and the downhill is quite gentle. On icy days if heading to Queenstown I would go via Cromwell then return to Wanaka over the Crown Range. It really is a glorious drive :)

Pretoria, SA
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: June 2014 - Fly fishing ao activities

Yip, it was Trips and Trams;-)

Thanks for the clear guidelines regarding the route.

Makes decision making much easier.

10. Re: June 2014 - Fly fishing ao activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 05:18