We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to buy flights for Dec

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Best time to buy flights for Dec

Hello everyone!

I am planning on doing a self drive around the south island in Dec at the start of the xmas period (24/25) until the end of the first week of Jan. I've been browsing for the past month for flight tickets between Syd and Christchurch and the prices are so high! $780 return! This seems very expensive as I paid for Auckland last year $500.

I was wondering what month is the best time to buy flights for christchurch? Should I book asap or might the prices drop a bit in oct?

Hope anyone has any insight as I know it varies from year to year.

1. Re: Best time to buy flights for Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 16:05
Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to buy flights for Dec

This is certainly peak travel time. I would say $780 was a pretty good price!

Have you checked out flying into Dunedin or Queenstown? They both have international terminals, and you may pick up something from there. There is limited flights selection, so it may not be much difference in price.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
481 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to buy flights for Dec

Flights for Christmas are already booking out - I booked our christmas flights a few months ago and couldnt get the fares we wanted (premium and delux were sold out)

As a guide, in October im flying Syd>NZ return business class and Im paying slightly less than what Im paying for December economy tickets. Prices always go up at Christmas time.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to buy flights for Dec

The best time was months ago. We paid through the nose for tickets over just before Christmas but managed to get sale fares for the return trip. It's unlikely you'll find anything cheaper now, and if you want to fly on Christmas Eve you'd better book straight away - I'm surprised there are any seats left for the 24th.

5. Re: Best time to buy flights for Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 06:19