We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Island Holiday with a 4 month old itinerary questions

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
South Island Holiday with a 4 month old itinerary questions

I did a Contiki tour what seems like a lifetime ago, now it is time to return with my husband (his first trip to NZ) and newborn daughter who will be 4 months old. This will be our first family holiday and I am hoping to make it as relaxing as possible. We enjoy driving, so will rent a car. Both of us enjoy good food and wine so any advice would be appreciated. Accommodation budget is approximately $175-200 per night, hopefully they will have a cot available. Again any advice on accommodation which would be good with a baby would be appreciated.

Christchurch to Akaroa stay 2 nights - Was thinking Akaroa Kokopu Cottage? Other recommendations?

Akaroa to Dunedin stay 2 nights

Are we better off breaking up this trip from Akaroa to Dunedin up? Where would be a good place to stop?

Dunedin to Te Ana stay 2 nights with a day trip to Milford Sound

Any recommendations on cruises which would be suitable with a pram/4 month old?

Te Anau to Queenstown, stay 4 nights Thinking the St James Apartments to allow us to walk to dinner easily.

Queenstown to Wanaka, stay 2 nights

Wanaka to Lake Tapeko, overnight then return to Christchurch

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,772 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Island Holiday with a 4 month old itinerary questions

Welcome to the Forum. I think you are on the right track, but I would probably take 1 night off Queenstown to stop at Oamaru between Akaroa & Dunedin. Chch to Dunedin is about 5 hours so I'm guessing it would be 6 from Akaroa - furhter than I'd want to travel wiht a 4month old. If she is having 2 sleeps a day then I'd plan 2 bursts of travel with a long lunch stop for a play time.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,430 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Island Holiday with a 4 month old itinerary questions

You have a good trip planned :)

I wouldn't attempt a pram on one of the cruises. Why not use a baby carrier? This will allow far greater freedom when exploring and you can do some of the short walks in comfort.

What time of the year are you planning to travel?

Ensure baby has sunblock, insect repellent (only needed in Milford Sound) a billed hat for the sun as the UV rays are strong on baby's eyes plus a good baby skin moisturiser and lip balm. You and your child will notice the lack of humidity. Increase your water intake and moisturise often.

happy travels :)

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: South Island Holiday with a 4 month old itinerary questions

I would agree, add a night to Oamaru. I also preferred driving during nap time.

An all-terrain buggy will be useful if your baby is too big to comfortably carry in a sling or carrier.

Many motels provide cots and highchairs, usually listed on their website. In NZ, motels always have some cooking facilities - a microwave and some hotplates would be standard, if not a full kitchen. This is very handy.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Island Holiday with a 4 month old itinerary questions

Thank you for the advice so far. I will add a stop over in Oamaru to break up the drive down to Dunedin which will make it a 16 night holiday. There are some good specials from Perth so we are looking at the second half of November this year.

We plan to drive to Milford Sound ourselves, then take a cruise. Any recommendations here would be great.

Thank you

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,430 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Island Holiday with a 4 month old itinerary questions

There are no wrong tours in Milford - just select the price and time which suits you best.

Enjoy :)

6. Re: South Island Holiday with a 4 month old itinerary questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 05:19