We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on where to stay and what to see

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
28 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on where to stay and what to see

I am planning on spending 5 days on the south island at the end of March. I had thought about staying in Christchurch, but I have heard since the big earthquake in 2011 not to stay there. We want to stay someplace where we can take day trips or tours to view different parts of the island. If it involves driving, I don't want places that are hard to find.

Please let me know: where to stay, and what to go see.

I was disappointed that I could not find any cruises that just covered New Zealand for 5-7 days.

Thanks so much!

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on where to stay and what to see

It would be difficult to see all that the South Island has to offer without travelling around rather than stay in one place. My advice is to hire a car and stay in motels or hire a camper van. Places not to miss: Milford sound is an absolute must, take a cruise on the fiord, it's just spectacular!! Queenstown, Otago peninsula. Train ride in the Trans Alpine railway, Fox glacier, the list is endless!!

California
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on where to stay and what to see

With only 5 days, your best bet is to fly in and out of Queenstown and base yourself there. You can do a daytour of Milford Sound via a coach-cruise-coach tour. The hire a car and do day trips to Glenorchy, Arrowtown, Wanaka, and the wine region.

5 Days is a really short stay.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on where to stay and what to see

Hi,

With such a paucity of time IMHO deSchenke has advised the best way to make the most of it. I would still hire a car though.

BTW you need to get on the ground in NZ to experience the country, the culture and view the breath taking scenery. A cruise will only let you see the ports and, if you are lucky, one of the fiords.

Cheers,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,563 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on where to stay and what to see

The problem with cruises is that they need to start and end at cities where there are International Airports so this limits the route to AKL & back. You can't go far in a ship in 5-7 days either.

Depending on how you want to travel & how adventurous you are I think your 2best options are deSchenke's "stay put in Queenstown" - so much to do as day trips, or possiby 2 nights in Te Anau, for a Milford Sound dya trip; or Fly into Chch and drive via Mt Cook to Queenstown over 2-3 days and spend the balance of the time in QTN; flying out of ZQN. (or VV)

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
28 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on where to stay and what to see

Thank you all so much! After reading about what everyone had recommended, I now have another question. Should I shorten my stay in Wellington (where I am attending a conference) and spend 2 days in another city?

Thanks in advance,

Carol

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on where to stay and what to see

If you have a week in the South Island you could;

1 fly to Queenstown

2 explore

3 drive to Te Anau - glow worm caves?, short film Ata Whenua?

4 explore Milford Sound, stay Te Anau

5 drive to Wanaka

6 drive Lindis Pass to Aoraki/Mt Cook - fab drive

7 drive to Chch, fly out

Happy travels :)

7. Re: Need advice on where to stay and what to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 04:18