We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for Mid November in South Island?

Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
What to pack for Mid November in South Island?

We are mainly packing Tshirt/Shirts, Jeans/Capris... walking shoes.and a light jacket.

For the Glacier Walk, I believe we are provided with all the necessary gear.

My question is how cold can it get at Milford Sound and Mt Cook? Will a Jacket suffice?

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack for Mid November in South Island?

can get sleet or even snow any time of the year, although not common. If a cold wind is blowing it can be very bitter. Jeans arent much good for outside wear in wet or cool conditions.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,279 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack for Mid November in South Island?

Ideally you need to pack for 4 seasons. Coming from SG, you will find even a warm day in NZ cool - I know I do when I first arrive from Zhuhai. There is a much bigger change in temp during the day than you are used to. Wear layers that you can remove as the day warms up & put back on when evening cools down again. A fleece jacket or "shell"-type parka/anorak eg North Face that stops the wind is useful. Plan to buy some great NZ merino woolen garments such as Icebreaker.

If you are planning outdoor activities eg hikes, will you walk regardless of the weather or will you retreat to a cafe? Some of my most memorable walks have been in mist or rain or even snow! If you are warmly dressed you can still enjoy the outdoors.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack for Mid November in South Island?

If going to sandfly country I always make sure I have clothing that will keep me covered without being too hot, or uncomfortable when wet, ie long pants and long-sleeved shirts that are lightweight, synthetic and quick-drying, the kind designed for hiking, eg Cool-max fabric.

Because we do a lot of hiking I make sure I have good clothes for outdoors whatever the weather - hiking pants/shirts as mentioned above, quick-drying shorts, thermal underwear, layers of fleece and a really good raincoat. I'd wear the hiking clothing on most non-hiking days too to avoid packing too much - it's rarely necessary to be dressed up in NZ. In summer I'd add a few t-shirts, a sundress and a pair of sandals, in winter a couple of lightweight merino tops for layering, a spare pair of shoes and lightweight waterproof overtrousers. Most hiking clothing is designed to be light so my bag doesn't weigh much - the raincoat is the only heavy item and I carry that onto the plane.

I don't bother taking jeans - they are heavy and very uncomfortable when wet, and if you get stuck outdoors in jeans that are wet when it's cold and windy they can be dangerous.

Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack for Mid November in South Island?

Thanks much for all your inputs. I'll have to do more shopping now.

And I do keep reading about the sand-flies. I'll surely pack a insect repellent. :)

5. Re: What to pack for Mid November in South Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 03:18