We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand an Unexpected Journey

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand an Unexpected Journey

Just returned from QT

BOTTOM END

Shag point above Dunedin was a special place for Fur Seal you can get with in few feet of them. Morakie for the boulders and dolphins of the beach. At the caitlins check out this restaurant http://www.fleursplace.com/ great place to eat and a Sea Lion outside the door a little expensive but for the ambience and sighting of this place it is a must.

We had yellow eyed penguin at Ka ka point And Albatross at the peninsular the beach below the Royal Albatross Centre is closed at 19.30pm and private tours start at 8pm to see the blue penguins. Before you pay to go into the Albatros centre walk to the right and look over the viewing platform that looks out to sea we had a brilliant view of the Albatross and free J You say you are booked into Penguin place you can do this all in one afternoon not a lot more to do on the peninsular. We made our way through the Caitlin’s through Brighton to Cannibal bay and curio bay. At curio bay there is a fossilised forest. And if you are lucky enough to go swimming the Hectors dolphins will come in very close to investigate speak with the man at the curio bay campsite he does a lovely Hokey Pokey ice cream and will give you advice. Apparently White Pointers make a visit each year on the way to Stewart Island and there feeding grounds. A wild and beautiful place to the right of the point, and to the left a fantastic sheltered bay.

QT to Wanaka over the Crown ranges (mountain range with fantastic view then on through to the Haast Pass through Haast township and up the main road through rain forest and with the Tasman sea on our left to the Franz Joseph and fox glaciers We stayed the night in a hostel as a lot of motels wanted $150 a night. We then went up to Hokitika and across Arthur's pass towards Christchurch onto Springfield and then Ashburton and Geradine and onto lake Tekapo , Oramara and Cromwell before getting back to queens town. I was told that there are 110 single lane bridges to cross on the main Hass Highway up to Hokitika and I can quite believe there is I would say that is one of the top ten car journeys to do anywhere in the world simply beautiful.

QT to Glenorchy another beautiful ride

QT to Infergargill and up to Riverton and Tunapere We stayed at a 1950's style pub x motel at Colac bay talking with locals about fishing ect Next day made our way up to Monapoure and onto Te anu visiting the DOC conservation site on outskirts to see the Morpork owl the Kia and the re discovered 1948 tekeha.

QT to Milford sound We stayed at the Milford Lodge in a pod fantastic and done the cruise the next day with Juicy cruises. We saw dolphin seal and most amazing and lucky the Fiorland crested Penguin what a place. Hope this helps all who visit

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Dunedin
Dunedin
Otago Region, New Zealand
The Royal Albatross Centre
The Royal Albatross...
1,621 Reviews
Dunedin, New Zealand
Penguin Place
Penguin Place
756 Reviews
Dunedin, New Zealand
Stewart Island
Stewart Island
Southland Region, New Zealand
Wanaka
Wanaka
Haast Pass
Haast Pass
135 Reviews
South Island, New Zealand
Haast
Haast
West Coast Region, New Zealand
Hokitika
Hokitika
West Coast Region, New Zealand
Arthur's Pass National Park
Arthur's Pass National...
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Christchurch
Christchurch
Ashburton
Ashburton
Lake Tekapo
Lake Tekapo
2,137 Reviews
Lake Tekapo, New Zealand
Cromwell
Cromwell
Central Otago, New Zealand
Glenorchy
Glenorchy
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,670 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand an Unexpected Journey

It sounds like you had a great trip, Paul! :)

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand an Unexpected Journey

Thank you

NZ and its peoples are special. It reminds me of England 40 yr ago The innocence and beauty of its peoples are not to my knowledge found any where else in the world.so many people made our holiday special Namely our Son Joe who lives in QT and Alexandria his Girlfriend and why I called my review New Zealand and Unexpected Journey because we never expected to get there to be honest. WLnz on here helped me before we went with advice a huge thank you. And to all Nz ers lol I say thanks you and I hope above all else that you NEVER lose that innocence you have a country that you should be proud of. The beauty and majesty of the whole of the south Island has to be seen to be believed so go forth and have your own New Zealand an unexpected journey.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
3. Re: New Zealand an Unexpected Journey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 03:05
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
747 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand an Unexpected Journey

Hello MoldieKent. I am really interested in what you actually mean by innocence. Innocence would be something I would have never thought to use as a descriptive of NZers, especially as the country is made up of so many different ethnic groups and cultures and most NZers have either spent time living overseas or have travelled a great deal. I would love to know how you define that in us.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealand an Unexpected Journey

Sorry yes it is where you say outside the Caitlin's must apologise I thought the whole of that coast was them but obviously not.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealand an Unexpected Journey

Hi Kiwi Crawler

Firstly let me say that description is not negative or derogative in any way. I was born in 1957 and grew up in an England that was trustworthy, everyone had a latch key hanging from there letter box, we had several hundred surrogate uncles and aunts (neighbours and friends) and everyone had time for each other. I as a kid would shop for Mrs so and so with no thought of reward and I can remember my father bringing some one home who was stuck as they could not find a B@B to stay in. We have a saying here that is no longer or very rarely used " they would give the shirt of there own back'' meaning that people's would do anything or go with out for you. Several times on asking for directions or in a shop people went out of there way to help. One lady even went onto the Internet to see if any other shop in the area had what I wanted. Another lady served us tea and cake and had time to come out from behind the counter and chat to us telling us the history of her Irish grandma and Scottish Grandfather. My son said that he never locks his door I know from experience that I left the windows open on several excursions out and came back to find everything ok.

Maybe in the big city's of NZ things might be different I do not know but England has lost that sense of trust of comradeship from the big towns and city's through to the small villages as here Where I live people are to busy wrapped up in there own lives 20yrs ago it would take me an hour to walk to the village shop.The old people would chat ask you to get something for them and expect you to stop for tea on way back lol. Now I can be down and back in 10mins. We went to a spring fair in QT it was lovely to see everyone talking people and could not go more than a few paces with out stopping to chat not once did I see a kid stamping his/ her feet and dads and mums of all races interacting with there children. They had a fantastic area where kids and Grown men were riding all sorts of home made bikes one even cut the lawn as you peddled. In Colac bay we stayed in a 1950's style motel come pub and a couple who came from Infargaill for the fishing was staying at there caravan. In the camp kitchen the next day at breakfast the gent started to talk to us giving us advice where to go ect. His wife who was busy cooking the breakfast told us of her childhood in the North a Island and how she came to live in the South. She described to us the way to fish for the whitebait and how she had done so for over 50yrs that would not happen here. In all cultures people's of a certain age such as myself still retain the adage "treat as you wish to be treated yourself" so many young people especially here do not have that. But In NZ I found that that adage crossed all ages. As I have said I do not know of the big city's but the real NZ the small towns and townships we were treated with utmost courtesy. New Zealand is a hotchpotch of different cultures Europeans, Asian, From the Americas, and people native to New Zealand but you make it work you get on with life and accept it.

I am sorry if I have been caught up with the romantic side of NZ and maybe just maybe I see things through " rose tinted glasses" but I see a country that is both beautiful and giving from mum nature to its people of all races. As I stated we have lost that here in the UK and I am sad that we have done so. Maybe "innocence" it's the right word to use and I will apologise if I have upset anyone but it is the only word that I can think of to describe what I as a British citizen have lost and New Zealand has retained.

With the greatest respect

Paul

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Zealand an Unexpected Journey

Dear Jean

Not once did I think that we would ever get to NZ. Our son left 21months ago to live in NZ and we missed him badly. We decided late in fact August to go and see him so flying was at a premium rate but I had done a lot of overtime at work this year and you cannot take money with you as they say but boy was it worth it. The scenery the wildlife and above all else the peoples including Alex our son Joe's girlfriend made for an awesome holiday. So much so in fact and so laid back was I that I forgot to take my medication for H B Pressure on several occasions with no adverse effect. At some point Australia is on our list Our youngest son with our help has already travelled from Cairns to below Sydney and told us of his experiences of seeing wild Dingo at Frazier island and salts near Cairns so who knows. Thank you for your kind comments.

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
8. Re: New Zealand an Unexpected Journey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 05:18