We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand South Island Itinerary - Help and Advice

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand South Island Itinerary - Help and Advice

Hello,

I am looking for advice on our upcoming Honeymoon in March 2014 to the South Island of New Zealand.

I have a very vague itinerary and would like some thoughts on timing and I we are trying to do to many things in too little time.

I thank you in advance for your help in this matter and look forward to your thoughts.

Day 1 – Arrive Christchurch 3:20PM – I assume we would arrive in the city center around 5:00PM – 5:30PM and able to explore to some extent and have dinner.

Day 2 – Depart Christchurch to Fox Glacier

Day 3 – Fox Glacier – Early flight and hike - Explore

Day 4 – Fox Glacier to Wanaka

Day 5 - Wanaka - Free day to explore

Day 6 – Wanaka to Te Anau – Possible Glow Worm tour

Day 7- Milford Sound - Cruise and walk

Day 8 – Milford Sound to Queenstown

Day 9 – Queenstown

Day 10 – Queenstown to Lake Tekapo

Day 11 – Lake Tekapo

Day 12 – Lake Tekapo to Christchurch

Day 13 – Home

We are open to changes or any thoughts you have. We have thought of omitting Lake Tekapo and flying out of Queenstown so we can have an extra day in Wanaka and Queenstown, but being a photography enthusiast I would like to include Lake Tekapo for the Church of the Good Sheppard, but do fear time is very tight and there is too much driving.

We are looking to finalize our flights over the next day or so!

Thank you again :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand South Island Itinerary - Help and Advice

Hi Sophia, you have planned well :)

You will find the drive Chch to Fox a long one - but leave Chch by 10am and you have all day to get there. Do stop at Arthur's Pass - the kea (world's only mountain parrot) are very entertaining as they begin to deconstruct your rental car.

Plus allow a full day for the drive Fox to Wanaka - tourists average 6 hours for the drive... lots of great short walks to enjoy.

The only change I suggest - stay Aoraki/Mt Cook for two nights rather than Tekapo. Tekapo is a pretty 30 minute stop to photograph the church and dog statue - but Aoraki has stunning walks and views, plus take a cruise amongst the icebergs on the terminal lake.

Have a wonderful honeymoon :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand South Island Itinerary - Help and Advice

Stop and see the Franz Joseph glacier on your way to Fox - there's a side walk up a hill (5 minutes) that has a good view. Before your flight, head out to Lake Matheson.

Make sure you have plenty of stops on the drive to Wanaka. There are some nice walks in the Haast Pass.

Consider taking a bus to Milford. It's a beautiful beautiful drive and it would be a shame to miss is because you're concentrating on the road. Accommodation at Milford is very limited. I've always wanted to kayak on the Sound. You could consider the kayak and accommodation package at Milford Lodge.

3. Re: New Zealand South Island Itinerary - Help and Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:18