We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four seasons

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Four seasons

I am currently listening to the fantastic new Paul Kelly/Neil Finn album recorded live at the Opera House last year and for no validly connected reason (other than the brilliant Neil Finn and the song Four Seasons in One Day), I am resolved to finally head to NZ for a road trip.

I love four seasons (not in one day), and as I have partially in mind an idea to eventually buy a place/rent regularly where there are four identifiable seasons (a short,warm summer, autumn colour, freezing, snowy but sunny, not bleak winter and spring flowers), where should I concentrate my travels? We love tramping,mountains, skiing,alpine environments generally.

Thanks, as always.

Coronet Peak
Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas
The Remarkables Ski Area
Mt Hutt Ski Area
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,534 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four seasons

Wanaka offers stunning mountains with great summers - the temps often rise to early 30s - and crisp chilled winters with 4 skifields and endless walking tracks. It is renowned for low rainfall and blue skies. Visitors flock there in the autumn for the autumn colour, the superb skiing, the spring lupins and lazy long summers.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,140 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four seasons

Wanaka :)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four seasons

Anywhere around Central; Otago or southern lakes will do the trick. central Otago has some of the most magificent displays of Blossum in the Spring and autum leaves in the Autum, has wonderful Hawe Frosts in the winter and some of the hottest summer weather. it breaks all records. check out Alexandra, it is close to almost anywhere you need.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four seasons

For mountains, tramping, skiing, alpine environments I suggest the following areas

Hanmer springs, Canterbury

Queenstown

Nelson Lakes National Park

Ohakune or Tongaririo National Park area.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,534 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four seasons

I'm not a fan of Nelson Lakes - sandfly hell

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four seasons

Thanks for those great suggestions. I can feel a road trip in July 14 developing, centred around these areas.

Thanks for the tip re sandflies too. We have them where I currently live, and despite years of trying to eradicate them, it's impossible and really compromises outdoor living.

Is Wanaka dairy/sheep/agricultural country? Are there genuine (eg fruit not bought from the supermarket then dressed up in a rustic looking basket to on sell) fresh food markets in the area?

Oz
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four seasons

Hi,

Queenstown, Wanaka, Arrowtown, Glenorchy, Cromwell are just a few, there are many more, all in Central Otago. Closest to great skiing Wanaka with Cardrona and Treble Cone about half an hour away and Queenstown with Coronet Peak 20mins and The Remarkables 40mins from town.

Obviously plenty of cold climate fruit but don't expect Mangos, Custard Apples and the like :-). The Pinot Noirs arhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing.

Cheers,

Edited: 18 November 2013, 23:03
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four seasons

The song was written about Melbourne's weather.

Maybe you should start there. :-/

Other than that, I'd suggest you try a road trip mid-late november from Akaroa to Greymouth. Our GPS took us through some fantastic countryside before travelling through Arthurs Pass. with plenty of snow still on the peaks, lupins in flower everywhere along the way.

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four seasons

There are many road side stalls selling fruit and preserves, you can see the trees it was grown on behind the stall. The Central Otago Farmer's Market is also a great place to stop for fresh supplies including local fruit, vegetables, olive oil, cheese, honey and regional specialty meats.

Northburn Station, a vineyard and sheep station just out of Cromwell, has a cellar door with locally produced food and merino lamb reared on the station.

10. Re: Four seasons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:20