We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Abel Tasman to Fox Glacier

Farmington Hills...
12 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Abel Tasman to Fox Glacier

Hello to all on the forum:

Part of our 18 night South Island trip has us driving from Abel Tasman to

Fox Glacier (yes, long drive day!). From AA driving directions it advises us to take hwy 6 to 69 to 7 to Greymouth. Would it be "worth" it to take 6 all the way to Westport, then down West Coast for more intense scenery?

We leave in a little over 2 weeks!

Thanks,

Rob

Best Seller
Full-Day Milford Sound and Fiordland...
279 reviews
from US$164.10*
Milford Sound Tour with Flight...
11 reviews
from US$507.20*
Best Seller
Te Anau Glow Worm Caves Tour
225 reviews
from US$61.90*
Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise from...
153 reviews
from US$190.20*
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,529 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Abel Tasman to Fox Glacier

It won't add too much mileage, but will add considerably to the scenery.

I would only do it if the weather is brilliant. It is a long drive - over 6 hours. Our roads can be challenging and require the driver to be alert and wide awake. Driver fatigue is the main cause of NZ road accidents.

Do take care :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,105 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Abel Tasman to Fox Glacier

I have driven from Franz Josef to Motueka in a day. I am not sure that I would want to add the extra distance for Fox Glacier.

india
Level Contributor
161 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Abel Tasman to Fox Glacier

Have done Wellington to Greymouth. Start Wellington 610 AM, ferry @ 830 AM, Exit ferry at Picton 12 noon, St.Arnauld 2 PM, Murchiston 3 PM, Punakaiki 0500 PM, Grey mouth 0715 PM. We did 374 kms that day.

Route Information: Picton Blenheim- Beautiful, hills, twisties, Highway 1, Blenheim-St.Arnald-Flatlands, highway 63, St.Arnald-Murcheston (gas station+convenience store stop) Highway6, tiwties, forests hills, Murcheston-Westsport-lots of twisties, forests, hills, Westsport-Punakaiki- after the left turn on the west coast mostly straight with sea on one side. Punakaiki-Greymouth-all the way beach road, twisties.

Need to be alert, alternated driving between myself and my wife, temptation to speed on lonely roads and winding roads is high, you'd find an odd car heading your way on the turns when you least expect it, so sticking to all the limits is critical, alertness is everything and taking lots of breaks helps.

---Arkz.

======

4. Re: Drive from Abel Tasman to Fox Glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 05:17