We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary comments please

BURNSVILLE
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary comments please

The following is our itinerary for late Feb. to March travel. Does the order make sense?

Arrive CHC, 1st night Kaikoura, 2nd- Picton, 3rd QCT Endeavour Inlet, 4th, 5th Katieriteri, 6th night Westport to break up drive to Arthurs Pass, 7th, 8th Arthurs Pass, 9th,10th, 11th, Wanaka/Mt. Cook.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary comments please

Long time in Arthur's Pass.

Only makes sense if you are flying out of Queenstown

BURNSVILLE
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary comments please

Arthurs Pass is just 2 nts our 7th and 8th. Sorry my post was written weird. Still too long in Arthurs Pass?? We would leave early on day 9 to drive to Wanaka, which is 6 hours and seems to be a coastline drive.

California
Level Contributor
7,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary comments please

Wanaka is no where near the coastline.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 19:45
California
Level Contributor
7,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary comments please

Okay, I just had a look at Google Maps and it indicates that if you drive from AP to Wanaka via the West Coast, it's a drive of 6hrs, 2mins. Google is WRONG! It will probably take you 6 hours from Franz Josef Glacier to Wanaka, add another 3 hours between AP to FJG. Haast Pass is very twisty and has 20 one-lane bridges to cross. Plus there are several scenic turnouts and short hikes to waterfalls along the way.

If you have 3 nights to do this, you could overnight at FJG, then Wanaka, then Mount Cook. But you have long days of driving and no time to explore the areas.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary comments please

Whilst it is a coast line drive, it's not a open expansive highway where you can drive at a reasonable speed, you will be driving far below the speed limit on this portion and it is rather windy in places.

Go Arthurs Point - Mt Cook - Wanaka - fly out of Queenstown, only way your proposed trip makes any sort of sense.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary comments please

I would only stay more than one night at Arthur's Pass if I was using it as a base for tramping. A two-night stay would make more sense at Mt Cook or Wanaka.

If you want to drive down the West Coast, go Kaiteriteri, Punakaiki, Franz Josef, Wanaka.

BURNSVILLE
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary comments please

Unfortunately our airline tickets are in and out of CHC. I have been using AAmaps for distance and directions.

We are tramping whenever we are not driving. My husband really wants to do Arthurs Pass but maybe I could talk him out of it if anyone has a better itinerary suggestion. Our must do's are QCT, ABT Mt. Cook and Wanaka area as that is where he wants to go rock climbing.

Maybe if there is the same type tramping at Mt. Cook I can talk him out of Arthurs Pass. I would love to do 2 nights on the QCT so maybe that can be worked into it. But still need help with getting from Kaiteriteri to Wanaka.

Just when I thought I knew what was what ...

California
Level Contributor
7,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary comments please

Unfortunately, Wanaka is about 3 days from Abel Tasman.

Like Jean, I would suggest skipping Arthurs pass. It's pretty, but there's only about 3 places to stay, a small cafe, and the visitors center. If you blink, you'll whiz by it. There are several hikes to choose from, but there are hundreds of hikes elsewhere! Mount Cook has somewhat a similar feel, as they are both Alpine.

How about:

Day 1 - Drive to Kaikoura

Day 2 - Drive to Picton

Day 3 - Endeavor Inlet

Day 4 - Drive to Kaiteriteri

Day 5 - Explore

Day 6 - Drive to Punakaiki

Day 7 - Drive to Franz Josef Glacier

Day 8 - Drive to Wanaka

Day 9 - Explore

Day 10 - Drive to Mt Cook

Day 11 - Explore

Day 12 - Drive Christchurch (early start for 4pm departure) - Fly home

BURNSVILLE
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary comments please

Sounds good. Now I just have to convince my other half! Thanks

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary comments please

Change your flights out of CHCH to fly out of Queenstown.

Your proposed trip within your time frame simply won't work.