We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Driving South Island New Zealand

Northam, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Driving South Island New Zealand

Hello,

Myself and my partner are Driving South Island for 12 nights/13 days at the start of June 2014 in a campervan. I know that its going to be cold and that's fine, that part doesn't bother us.

I'm just wondering if I'm trying to be to ambitious in trying to see to much. If people could help me tweak my itinerary and give ideas thanks.

Day 1: Christchurch to Kaikoura

Day 2: Kaikoura to Arthurs Pass

Day 3: Arthurs Pass to Franz Josef/Fox

Day 4: Franz Josef to Wanaka

Day 5: Wanaka to Queenstown

Day 6: Queenstown

Day 7: Queenstown to Milford Sound

Day 8: Milford Sound to Invercargill

Day 9: Invercargill to Dunedin

Day 10: Dunedin to Lake Tekapo

Day 11: Lake Tekapo to Akaroa

Day 12: spare to spend a extra day anywhere

Day 13: Return back to Christchurch

I don't really mind if I miss Invercargill or Akaroa as I cant find a lot to see there..

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary Driving South Island New Zealand

You have to have a powered site in a holiday park to use the heater - at our campervan did. So if you are freedom camping no heater. Ours was also noisy and quickly too hot in a van. We would have been fine with 2 more extra blankets. The campervan people said we just had to ask but we didn't realise until after the trip. : )

Adelaide
Level Contributor
136 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary Driving South Island New Zealand

As our heater was a diesel powered I'm pretty sure we could use it without plugging it in but we couldn't use any of the lights if we weren't plugged in.

Either way you'll need to plug into a power source every couple of nights otherwise it will drain your battery.

Edited: 06 December 2013, 03:44
Jamaica
Level Contributor
6 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary Driving South Island New Zealand

Cannot add much to the suggestions todate. However it might be wise to be aware that some roads could be closed - weather, slips, etc. that could mean long detours or worse...

Northam, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary Driving South Island New Zealand

Thanks for the replys, I have taken what you all have said and am planning a route to take... Do you think that I will have to book to stay in camper/caravan parks in June or will I be ok to just turn up?? I think it is your low season and that I will be fine to just turn up and get a spot.. Thanks for your help

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Itinerary Driving South Island New Zealand

No need to book campsites - there won't be very many out camping at that time of year!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,092 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Itinerary Driving South Island New Zealand

Michele T has a good itinerary. I definitely think you should take a bus tour to Milford Sound, either the long all day tour from Queentown, or from Te Anau where you would stay two nights.

17. Re: Itinerary Driving South Island New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 06:18