We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunedin-Gore-Lumsden-Te Anau Route

Shah Alam
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Dunedin-Gore-Lumsden-Te Anau Route

Planning to use the above route from Dunedin to Te Anau but noticed on the maps that these roads SH1 and SH94 are not bold-printed. Is the quality of these roads not same as the main highways(dual or single carriage each way).

Apex informs me that these roads are full of truck roads and back roads and would need to drive slowly and carefully. And the area is also quite remote.

Appreciate to get some advice from members who had driven on these routes.

Thank you for your assistance.

Mentioned in this post
Dunedin
Dunedin
Otago Region, New Zealand
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Fiordland National Park, Milford...
348 Reviews
from US$164.20*
Te Anau Glow Worm Caves Tour
245 Reviews
from US$69.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Franz Josef Helicopter Flight and...
253 Reviews
from US$342.50*
5-Day South Island Tour from...
50 Reviews
from US$1,264.90*
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunedin-Gore-Lumsden-Te Anau Route

Can you point us to a link with this blurb from Apex?

Dunedin to Te Anau via Gore is the main route. It passes through farmland but that does not mean it is any less of a road. So relax, the road is fine. As long as you stick to a road map and don't try to follow GPS you can't possibly get lost.

And if you do crawl along at a slow speed (anything less than the posted speed limit is slow) then please pull off to the side of the road when traffic builds up behind you to allow the locals and those who don't rent from Apex to pass at the normal speed.

Safe travels :)

Mentioned in this post
Dunedin
Dunedin
Otago Region, New Zealand
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Gore
Gore
Southland Region, New Zealand
South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunedin-Gore-Lumsden-Te Anau Route

Some of the drive is remote but it is a great road. As long you are considerate to other road users and have the required driving skills there should be no problem.

Shah Alam
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunedin-Gore-Lumsden-Te Anau Route

Thanks WLnz and SouthIsland Bill.

Both your replies makes me more confident and happy to drive on that stretch.

Btw, the blurp was not from any link but was a reply I received for an enquiry on my concern.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunedin-Gore-Lumsden-Te Anau Route

Don't know where Apex got that from, probably someone in head office who's never been out of Auckland.

SH1 is the main North/South route. It runs from Bluff to Cape Rienga. Because of this there are quite a few large trucks, and it probably carries more traffic that some other roads, but it's a good road, Single carriageway in most places, as are most roads in NZ outside of main city's & towns; but remote?? I'm still trying to work that one out.

I travel this route frequently, most recently just last week. I allow 4 hours for the trip, but usually do it in less. 3-1/2 hours is probably more accurate, it's just under 300km. There are some road works going on, which means slowing down, but this is common anywhere on NZ roads.

Unless you get off the beaten track you will have absolutely no trouble driving anywhere in NZ, but do stick to the speed limit, and remember that over this coming holiday period there is a 4kph speed tolerance, so if you are pinged at 105 you will get a ticket, and the cops target the main tourist routes ( which are mostly also the main routes).

Edited: 04 December 2013, 20:20
Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunedin-Gore-Lumsden-Te Anau Route

I presume Apex was thinking of the Catlins rather than the main road. Though even the Catlins isn't slow going now that it is all (mainly) sealed.

Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunedin-Gore-Lumsden-Te Anau Route

We drove this route during our NZ holiday last month and found the roads to be good, most definitely not back roads, all sealed and in good repair. I wouldn't call it remote either so I don't think you'll have any problems, just enjoy the scenery and drive carefully.

California
Level Contributor
9,554 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunedin-Gore-Lumsden-Te Anau Route

I often refer to google maps to get a street view of routes I'm contemplating. If you have time on your hands, you can click through and "drive" the route virtually.

Shah Alam
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dunedin-Gore-Lumsden-Te Anau Route

Thank you vbc, morris80 and WLnz again for your great inputs.

I feel very much at ease and look forward to an enjoyable drive.

And de Schenka, i'll definitely follow-up on your street view advice. I think that is great preparation. Thanks.

9. Re: Dunedin-Gore-Lumsden-Te Anau Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 06:17