We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Headed in right direction?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Headed in right direction?

Hello, we are a couple arriving on ferry into Picton from Wellington on March 27. Hoping to stay mostly in B&B’s, couple nights in caravan park and splurge couple nights.

The following is what I have planned but not sure if we are going in the right direction with our choices?

I am currently at work out at sea with limited internet so cannot download any maps. Our itinerary is very flexible as I’m still in the planning stage.

We’d like to see as much as we can but not feel too rushed, & also would like to enjoy the journey between each towns as much as the destination. My boyfriend is Canadian & I'm looking forward to showing him beautiful NZ.

27 March

arrive Picton around 6pm on Ferry.

Stay overnight Picton – hoping to book a nice recommended B&B but nothing too expensive.

28 March-

Get an early start and enjoy the drive from Picton through the Queen Charlotte Drive to Havelock, stop and have mussels for lunch and drive onto Nelson, maybe stop at Mapua for coffee

Stay overnight in Nelson - nice b&b

29th March

Take water taxi to ? Half day walk through QC track starting at Ship Cove end

Drive to Kaiteriteri late afternoon

Stay overnight Kaiteriteri - cabin in caravan park on beach-front

30 March

Free day nothing planned, maybe lay on beach maybe drive to Mouteuka? Or do a boat tour

Stay overnight Kaiteriteri

1 April

Water taxi from Kaiteriteri to Bark Bay, hike to Anchorage, and water taxi back.

Tonight either Stay overnight Kaiteriteri – or get back from Able Tasman walk and drive to Blenheim - unsure, is the drive a scenic one? If so we'll stay tonight in Kaiteriteri and get an early start tomorrow and drive to Blenheim.

31 March

Drive to Blenheim

Maybe cycle to a couple of wineries hoping to go to either Cloudy Bay or Geisens, tasty lunch somewhere with view?

Stay overnight Blenheim or nearby - maybe fancy b&b – don't’ care about cost - splurge night.

1 April

Drive to Kaikoura do the Kaikoura Peninsula walk. Park at Point Kean, do a loop walk to Whaler's Bay and return. Go to Ohau Falls -.

Stop at The Store at Kekerengu for a cuppa

Any suggestions where to stay at Kaikoura – nice B&B?

2 April

Drive from Kaikoura heading towards Christchurch via Arthur's pass

Stay overnight somewhere along the way or even another night Kaikoura? not sure where?

3 April

Stay overnight in Christchurch or nearby –splurge - flying out of Christchurch on 4th. -

We can always start off in Picton and go straight to Kaikoura or Blenheim first but I thought it best to go from Picton towards Nelson etc, don’t mind which way we go as long as we end up in Christchurch on 4th.

Thank you in advance.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Headed in right direction?

Hi Julie :)

you still have 3 months to plan so best wait till you have a map before doing anything more.

Once you have a map you will see where to improve your route :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,595 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Headed in right direction?

Yes, you have a few errors in your geography e.g. on the 28th you drive from Picton to nelson, but on the 29th you plan to do the QCT - which starts in Picton!!

Then on the 2nd (I almost thought it must be the 1st!) April, you plan to drive Kaikoura to Chch "via Arthurs Pass" - which is 100 km in a different direction!!

See if you can download maps from www.aamaps.co.nz/#directions next time you are on terra firm.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Headed in right direction?

Hi Wlnz thank you for taking the time to reply to me so quickly. Unfortunately I am out at sea for another 6 weeks so I was hoping to get my planning done during this time. We now have cyclone heading our way so even less internet

Happy new year to you :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Headed in right direction?

Hi Zhuha, thank you for taking the time to reply to me so quickly. Unfortunately I am out at sea for another 6 weeks so I was hoping to get my planning done during this time. We now have cyclone heading our way so even less internet

Happy new year to you :)

5. Re: Headed in right direction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:18