We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 Day South Island Itinerary - Feedback Please

Minneapolis...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
16 Day South Island Itinerary - Feedback Please

Hello! I'm looking for feedback on the itinerary below...husband and I are headed to the South Island end of March. Any feedback on the route, activities or know of good vendors for these activities? Specific feedback for Wanaka? I'm still unsure about about day 14...basically we just have to get closer to Christchurch...is Lake Takepo the best area to end up in? Thanks much!

Day 1 - Arrive Christchurch

Day 2 - Drive to Kaikoura (Glenstrae Farm, Peninsula Walkway or Ohau Waterfall Hike)

Day 3 - Kaikoura (Seal Swim)

Day 4 - Drive to Kaiteriteri (stop in Nelson and will pass Kaiteriteri to get to the Harwoods Hole walk...will stay overnight in Kaiteriteri)

Day 5 - Kaiteriteri (Abel Tasman Natl Park - kayak, hike, beaches)

Day 6 - Drive to Hokitika (stop in Punakaiki)

Day 7 - Hokitika (Heli/White Water Rafting - Hokitika River)

Day 8 - Drive to Fox Glacier (guided hike)

Day 9 - Drive to Wanaka

Day 10 - Drive to Queenstown (Jet Boat tour in Wanaka first, bungy jumping in Queenstown)

Day 11 - Queenstown/Glenorchy

Day 12 - Drive to Te Anau (Fiordland Natl Park - hiking and fly fishing)

Day 13 - Bus to and from Milford Sound (Day Trip, stay overnight in Te Anau)

Day 14 - Drive to Lake Takepo (stop through the various towns on the way)

Day 15 - Drive to Christchurch

Day 16 - headed home!

Akaroa Dolphins
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounter
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Milford Sound BBQ Bus
Bus Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
ecoSEAker
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Swim with Dolphins, Eco Tours
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,631 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 Day South Island Itinerary - Feedback Please

You have planned well - but Te Anau to Tekapo is a long jaunt.

One suggestion;

8 drive to Fox, hike

9 drive Haast Pass to Wanaka - you will love it :)

10 drive 3 hours to Te Anau

11 bus tour Milford Sound, stay te Anau

12 drive to Queenstown

13 explore

14 drive Lindis Pass to Aoraki/Mt Cook - more scenic than Tekapo

15 drive to Christchurch

hope this helps :)

Minneapolis...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 Day South Island Itinerary - Feedback Please

Thanks, I like that it cuts down on drive time! Do you think there is more to do in Aoraki/Mt. Cook than Tekapo, or is it just more scenic? It looks like from Twizel, it's an extra 45 minutes of driving to Mt. Cook, and then you have to trace back that 45 minute path to get over to Christchurch the next morning. Is it worth it?

Thanks again.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,631 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 Day South Island Itinerary - Feedback Please

Tekapo is little more than a strip mall located near a lake. The town itself I find blah. Church of the Good Shephard and the dog statue are both worth a visit - the setting is magical. I stop every single time I pass through Tekapo. I always use the loo, I sometimes get fuel and snacks. I always walk my pup to the church and dog statue - total time in Tekapo - 20 to 30 minutes depending on the weather.

Aoraki/Mt Cook offers stunning views, stunning walks - you could spend days there.

nothing more to be said really.

Minneapolis...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 Day South Island Itinerary - Feedback Please

Thanks very much - I'm looking forward to the whole trip!

5. Re: 16 Day South Island Itinerary - Feedback Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:19