We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days early March, 6 month old baby, 2 excited adults...

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
9 days early March, 6 month old baby, 2 excited adults...

So I've just put some flights on hold in early March for my wife and I to take our 6 month old baby all the way from the UK to the South Island landing in Christchurch. We'll be stopping in Singapore for a few days to break the journey up, but would really appreciate any guidance on itinerary.

We were originally thinking about a campervan but have decided against for a number of reasons I won't bore you with, so we'll get a station wagon and aim to book motels in advance (is that a good idea - we assumed so?)

We are a very active family - we love walking (our dog gets hours every day!) and loved hiking in Nepal and just went for a week walking in North Cornwall with the baby. So, any active things to do would be great.

Our simple itinerary we were going to follow is here: newzealand.com/travel/getting-to-around-nz/d…

We love scenery, but also meeting people and food and anything practical with the baby (boy does she need to be kept entertained!). We are a little worried we may have opted for an itinerary that might be too optimistic, too boring, not right given the time of year etc. - hence I thought we'd ask here!

I would really appreciate any observations on the itinerary and whether you'd make any changes based on the little info I've given above. We tend to get bored quickly so the more we can cram in the better!

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the support on these forums

Ross

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days early March, 6 month old baby, 2 excited adults...

Hi Ross, what a great adventure you are planning :)

But with so few days, plus baby, I would skip Stewart Island this trip. Save it for when baby is older and you can all enjoy a couple of days there.

Plus you might find it more enjoyable to spend a full day in at least one place.

You have 9 days and plan to drive on arrival? please don't - jet lagged drivers make mistakes - sometime fatal.

A scenic alternative;

1 arrive Chch

2 drive 5 hours to Dunedin

3 explore

4 drive 4 hours to Queenstown

5 explore

6 drive 1.5 hours to Wanaka

7 explore

8 drive 3 hours to Aoraki/Mt Cook

9 drive 4 hours to Chch, fly out

- anyone who gets bored in these locations needs professional help!

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days early March, 6 month old baby, 2 excited adults...

Superb - thank you!

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days early March, 6 month old baby, 2 excited adults...

Hi, I just realised i should have been clearer with itinerary.

Basically we land at 3pm and don't drive that day, day 1 starts the next day. We also don't fly until day ten - so we have the full 9 days

With that in mind, would you change anything?

Thanks again

Ross

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days early March, 6 month old baby, 2 excited adults...

Extra days is always a bonus.

So where would you rather spend an extra day? Chch, Dunedin, Queenstown, Wanaka, Aoraki/Mt Cook?

or would you prefer to add another destination? Akaroa? Milford Sound?

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days early March, 6 month old baby, 2 excited adults...

I am thinking that it might be best to spend another day in Queenstown and use that as a base to go see Milford Sound one day - is that realistic? Basically if we can stay located in the one place then it is easier not having to load cases etc (and the baby can be a bit more settled etc)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 days early March, 6 month old baby, 2 excited adults...

A day trip to Milford by bus from Queenstown takes 13 hours - not the best activity with a baby perhaps?

You can shorten the trip by bus there, cruise, fly back - or fly there/back.

I would simply spend a day somewhere enjoying a walk and a picnic - but then I'm not prone to boredom ;)

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 days early March, 6 month old baby, 2 excited adults...

OK, so bit of a rethink here. Plans altered to:

1. CHC - pick up car, stay overnight.

2. CHC to Omaru - via Mt Cook viewing

3. Omaru to Queenstown

4. Queenstown spare day

5. Queenstown to Te Anau

6. Milford Sound day

7. Te Anau spare day?

8. Te Anau to Dunedin

9. Dunedin day

10. Dunedin to Wanaka

11. Wanaka to CHC

Questions are really whether we've got the spare days right. Am thinking QT, TA, DN - but maybe I should switch one of these for Wanaka?

Also I figure the drive from Omaru to QT should be quite straightforward, so maybe no need for full spare day in QT?

Thoughts appreciated!

Edited: 18 January 2014, 22:13
London
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 days early March, 6 month old baby, 2 excited adults...

Note, Dunedin to Wanaka idea is because I heard the drive up there through the valley was quite scenic?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 days early March, 6 month old baby, 2 excited adults...

well that is certainly a convoluted route with far more driving than needed as you zigzag about.

When you say << CHC to Omaru - via Mt Cook viewing >> I hope you don't mean drive over 7 hours of Chch to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Oamaru?

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 days early March, 6 month old baby, 2 excited adults...

What would you change? Break up mt cook day?

How would you 'unconvalute'?