We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week itinerary expanded to 3 weeks

Sarawak
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Topic
2 week itinerary expanded to 3 weeks

Hi all, I originally intended to go towards the end of Autumn, hoping to get some good low season rates, but the beauty of New Zealand is like a super strong magnet and so I bought March tickets instead. Also, my original "boring" 2 week itinerary has now been expanded to 3 weeks, here is the revised version. Appreciate any advice before I start making accommodation bookings.

Day 1/2 SIN - CHC

Day 3 - CHC - Lake Tekapo (afternoon drive)

Day 4 - Tekapo - Mt Cook

Day 5 - Mt Cook - Queenstown

Day 6 - Glenorchy, begin Routeburn walk (co-driver stays in Queenstown)

Day 7 - Routeburn walk (co-driver drives to Te Anau)

Day 8 - complete Routeburn walk (co-driver drives Te Anau to Divide to pick me up, from Divide to Knobs Flats accomodation)

Day 9 - Knobs Flats - Milford-Manapouri

Day 10 - Manapouri - Wanaka via Arrowtown

Day 11 - Wanaka

Day 12 - Wanaka - Fox

Day 13 - Fox - Franz Josef - Punakaiki

Day 14 - Punakaiki - Motueka

Day 15 - Motueka - Puponga

Day 16 - Puponga - Nelson

Day 17 - Nelson - kaikoura

Day 18 - Kaikoura - CHC

Day 19 - (Castle Hill/Arthur's Pass or Akaroa perhaps?)

Day 20 - Return to CHC, explore town

Day 21 - CHC-SIN

From Day 6-8 I shall be walking the Routeburn Track from Glenorchy side. My co-driver doesn't want to do the complete track and therefore will drive the car to the Divide side on Day 8. We will then drive back up the road to Te Anau a short distance to a place called Knobs Flats (along the road to Milford but) and stay the night.

The next day, from Knobs Flats, we'll go to Milford if the weather is good, if not we will skip Milford completely as we don't fancy going out on a boat in rainy/foggy conditions.

From Milford, we move to Manapouri.

I am not sure where to spend the extra day we have, Day 19. Perhaps drive up to Castle Hill/Arthur's Pass? Or should we extend a night at say, Wanaka or Puponga?

We hope to do lots of day walks but also allow some time to do a bit of shopping in the larger towns. Thanks for any tips!

California
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week itinerary expanded to 3 weeks

Day 19, if you want a little adventure, drive just beyond Castle Hill and be prepared to truly explore Cave Stream Reserve. That means having 2 torches per person, some water shoes, and clothing that can get wet. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to go through the cave, but it's a unique experience.

…govt.nz/Documents/parks-and-recreation/plac…

Sarawak
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week itinerary expanded to 3 weeks

Thank you for the suggestion, not too keen about caving though. I'm torn between spending an extra day relaxing at Puponga and doing more walks around the fiordland area. Or maybe just drive to Akaroa. Or spend it in Kinloch. Hmm...

3. Re: 2 week itinerary expanded to 3 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 05:17