We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanty Town Hokita area & Maori Center Fox Glacier

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Shanty Town Hokita area & Maori Center Fox Glacier

Have some of you been to Shanty Town? If so, please give me your opinions on whether or not it fairly reflects the history of the western coast of South Island or is simply an unrealistic tourist trap that we should skip.

I keep running across references to a new Maori cultural center near Fox Glacier, but I have been unable to run down any information on it. Any heard of it? Have any information? Thanks

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanty Town Hokita area & Maori Center Fox Glacier

Shanty town was built as a replica west coast town based on a time period around the 1900s. many of the buildings came from various places around the west coast. The steam train ride (real steam) and the gold panning are amoung its many draw cards. "unrealistic tourist trap" not quite sure what you mean. Shantytown is not a glass show cases and video monitors type of event, however it does have a Halogramme theatre which educates you about some significant historical events.

As for a Maori Cultural center in Fox glacier, I am unaware of it

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanty Town Hokita area & Maori Center Fox Glacier

Thank you. We have some tourist traps in Texas that display distortions of history as real when they are really based on exaggerations and movie plots. What I had read of Shanty Town made it sound accurate and something that we would want to take the time to see in order to understand the area better.

3. Re: Shanty Town Hokita area & Maori Center Fox Glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 06:18