We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clean, quiet lodging in Queenstown?

NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Clean, quiet lodging in Queenstown?

I thought I hit send this morning but it never showed up so I'll try again.

I could use some help with one night in QTN. I just need clean and quiet and would prefer ensuite bathroom. I checked BBH and it looks most of the well rated places are shared bathrooms and I'm afraid they are going to be party central in a place like QTN. I've spent the entire weekend going through reviews and my head is about to explode.

We're doing the 8:15 AM Shotover River rafting trip and then we're heading to Te Anau. Since it sounds like there's not much in the way of restaurants in Glenorchy, I decided to stay in QTN the night before so we won't have to get up so early and so we can do something there if the weather stinks or we're about to die from all the hiking in Wanaka, Mt Cook and Glenorchy ;-).

FWIW, this is what I've got so far. We are never in the room so we're just looking for a good night's sleep. If you see any big mistakes, let me know.

Motueka- Eden's Edge Backpackers 2 nights

Murchison- Lazy Cow Backpackers- 1 nt, waiting on conf

Arthur's Pass Alpine Motel- 1 nt, how do we keep the keas from eating our car overnight?

Lake Matheson Motel- Fox Glacier 2 nts

Wanaka Pakpaka- King shared bath 1 nt, Lake View 2 nts

Mt Cook-? 1 nt

Glenorchy- ? Glenorchy Hotel or Mt Earnslaw Motel 2nts

Queenstown-?

Te Anau- Alpenhorn Motel 2 nts

Doubtful Sound overnight cruise

Invercargill-? 1 nt

Curio Bay- Curio Bay Salthouse 1 nt

Our last night??? We're planning to be at Nugget Point before sunset but we'd like to see some of Dunedin before our 4:30 PM flight and that's ~1 1/2 hrs away. Not sure if we should stay around Kaka Point and get up early and head out, drive partway to Milton or try to go all the way up to Dunedin. What's the drive to Dunedin like if we drove there after looking for penguins at Nugget Point?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clean, quiet lodging in Queenstown?

have you looked at Arrowtown accommodation? Arrowtown is far less manic than Queenstown - you can walk everywhere, and it's just minutes from SJ for the following morning. wotif.co.nz/hotels/…

And stay Kaka Point after Nugget Point - driving in the dark (our country roads are unlit) is poor planning.

If me, I would skip Invercargill.

From Manapouri drive to Curio Bay for the night. The following day drive to Kaka Point and the next day Dunedin for a night. This allows the extra time you need to explore Dunedin.

Happy travels :)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clean, quiet lodging in Queenstown?

We stayed at Novotel Queenstown Gardens last Saturday night. We anticipated it might be noisy but had no problems. Easy 3 minute walk to the Queenstown Mall, so perfect location, and of course all rooms are en suite.

This is a bit higher standard than your other accommodation, but we got a good deal on WOTIF, so it is worth a look.

BTW, we were on a street side unit, 3rd floor. They also have back facing rooms if you are really concerned about noise.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clean, quiet lodging in Queenstown?

The Lakeside YHA is generally a well managed and peaceful place to stay.It is a few minutes walk out of town (helps to stop the crazy partiers stay here).

NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clean, quiet lodging in Queenstown?

Thanks for the recs. I will check them out.

WLnz: No, I hadn't thought of Arrowtown. Can I assume SJ is where they meet up for the drive up Skipper Canyon? That gave me an idea. I just looked at it as a stop after Mt Cook, raft the next morning and then go on to Glenorchy. It takes an hour off the drive from Mt Cook which would be nice. But it gives me 1 full day and 2 half days in Glenorchy and I think I really want to have 2 full days for a back-up for hiking Routeburn.

As for going directly to Curio Bay, I won't have time with a stop at Clifden Caves. I figured we'd overnight in Invercargill then go to Bluff (unless we have time to make it the day before), Waipapa Point Lighthouse, hike Waiphatu bush loop track and then to Curio Bay.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clean, quiet lodging in Queenstown?

Sorry - saw the word Shotover and thought you were doing the jet boat, not rafting.

You will need to check with the rafting company whether they do an Arrowtown pick-up.

Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clean, quiet lodging in Queenstown?

Hi mdod, if you get time as you get to the coast after Clifden Caves, the viewing platform at McCrackens Rest and Gemstone Beach just north of Orepuki are worth a brief stop (huge deserted beaches).

Invercargill is one of these places that is trapped in time - we weren't mad fans. It's a bigger place than we'd thought it would be but not much life and we were glad we only stayed to catch a flight next day to Stewart Island. Get advice from your hosts about where to eat - we wandered around for ages trying to find somewhere open in the evening.

I wouldn't recommend going to Bluff (except for a ferry crossing to Stewart Island) unless you've seen some particular attraction - there is the famous signpost. The town just looked very industrial - it's a large commercial port and down a dead end road - you'll need to return the same way. Slope Point, along the coast south of Haldane, after Waipapa Point is the most southerly point on the South Island. It is accessed across farmland, about 20 to 30 minute return walk. It has another sign there and cliffs and not much else. It's worth it to say you've been as far south on the mainland that you can get! On good days it has good views apparently but we were happy to stay on our feet in wild winds and poor visibility. If you're going to Waipohatu you possibly won't also want to go further south to there when you get back to the main road.

When we were at Waipapa Point it was also blowing a gale and even the sealions were taking shelter on the beach! The lighthouse is not accessible but makes for a nice picture (although not as scenic as Nugget Point). There are toilets on the site - my wife recalls it was a seat with an updraft!

NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clean, quiet lodging in Queenstown?

Rantin: I was wondering if Bluff was worth the trip, especially after reading comments about a "great view of the ship channel". Sounds like there are better places for us to spend our limited time. I was torn on the bragging rights for going to Slope Point but it didn't seem that impressive with Stewart Island so close. We've seen the wind blown trees in South Point on the Big Island of Hawaii (the farthest south point in the US). It looks like the turn off for Slope Point is close to the Waipohatu Bush Loop Track. If we're making good time and the weather looks good we might drop down to Slope Point when we're done with that. Then again, if the weather is nice, we would probably better off in Porpoise Bay and Curio Bay.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clean, quiet lodging in Queenstown?

Definitely better off in Curio bay. Although low tide is best. And early morning and late afternoon is when the yellow eyed penguins are about.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 08:04
NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clean, quiet lodging in Queenstown?

Poppy: Thanks for confirming that I can leave off Slope Point guilt free. Low tide is at 3:15 so it's all good. Do you know how early the YEPs are out (relative to sunrise)?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clean, quiet lodging in Queenstown?

We are seniors and stayed for four nights in a private room with ensuite at the AQ hostel in Queenstown. I highly recommend it. We had no noise while sleeping and really enjoyed the common kitchen dining area. It is right downtown and handy to many places.