We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Island with 2 kids 7 days

Inverloch, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
South Island with 2 kids 7 days

Hey please help me

We will be flying early April rotorua to Christchurch then spending 7 days that includes the flying so 5 days and 2 day with flights

What would be a good plan of attack for us and to kids want to explore queenstown area

Cheers john

Inverloch, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South Island with 2 kids 7 days

We will be flying into chch and back out of chch would it be better to go direct to queenstown and back out of there to rotorua don't know South Island very well from the north a nice stress free plan would be great for myself and wife and 5 and 4 year old

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,682 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Island with 2 kids 7 days

Hi John, welcome to TA.

Given 5D/6N, I think you are on the right track to consider flying back from ZQN.

1. Arr CHC, pick up rental car; explore

2. Drive to Punakaiki, via Arthurs Pass

3. Drive to Fox or FJG

4. Drive to Wanaka

5. Drive to Qtn (2N)

6. Explore

7. Fly back to Rotorua

If you want to spend more time at the glaciers, drop Punakaiki & spend 2 N at FJG

If you want to do less driving & more time in QTN, go via Mt Cook instead.

Do be aware of the Easter holiday dates.

Inverloch, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: South Island with 2 kids 7 days

Thank you for the advice

I am struggling on what to do and what family will enjoy without being running raggered

I'm am thinking of adding a few extra days so don't miss to much can be flexible there

Are the glaciers going to be worth it as we have to young kids and can't get up close

As much info ideas are greatly appreciated

Thanks

John

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: South Island with 2 kids 7 days

Hi John,

We visited the area when our kids were 10 and 14 so here are some thoughts based on that.

Glaciers - were fine for our kids but yours are too young I would suggest so I'd give them a miss. They are only worth seeing if you can get onto them so I wouldn't bother, save for next time when they are older.

Wanaka - definitely worth a visit, kids would enjoy Puzzling World and you can all just chill out on the waterfront. Puzzling World site here - http://www.puzzlingworld.co.nz/

The Queenstown luge is great fun. It's at the top of the gondola ride so you get that and great views at the top. Kids will love it.

Queenstown is better geared towards older children\adults so although I am sure you'll fill your time how about this as an idea...

How about visiting the Banks Peninsula for a couple of days and then a couple of days in Queenstown. The reason I say that is we had a great time there and kids loved it. Akaroa is a lovely place to stay, kids will enjoy the Giants House, lots of water and beach activity if you wish, plus dolphins and Jet boats. More here newzealandholidaytravel.com/pages/Banks_Peni…

Itinerary would then be C'church - Banks Peninsula - Queenstown.

Just a thought.

I'm sure you'll have a great time either way. My advice would be don't try and do too much and run the family ragged as you say.

Andrew

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Island with 2 kids 7 days

1 arrive Chch - visit Antarctic Centre's blizzard room? - warm clothing provided

2 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

3 cruise Tasman glaciers terminal lake with icebergs

4 drive to Wanaka - Puzzling World - cruise to Mou Waho island, walk to lake on top of island

5 drive to Queenstown

6 explore....

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: South Island with 2 kids 7 days

With kids that age I would minimise driving as much as possible. Going one way to Queenstown is a good idea, and I wouldn't go via the West Coast either - too much driving and yes it will be better when the kids are older.

Wanaka is the best all-round destination for families between Christchurch and Queenstown IMO, so I would spend at least 2 nights there.

I think the best route options with kids would either be going via Mt Cook (for high alpine scenery) or via Oamaru and Dunedin (for wildlife viewing). The Mt Cook route is shorter, more relaxed (one less stop) and more scenic. The Oamaru/Dunedin option has the advantage of more poor-weather options, eg Dunedin has great museums.

Inverloch, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: South Island with 2 kids 7 days

Thanks to all for help and advice

Have a better feel for trip now just a few more questions if you can please help

After spending the first night in Christchurch then heading to aoraki where is the best place to stay is there any were besides the hermitage also how long does the Tasman glaciers cruise etc take will the kids manage ok and will it be best to stay another night in the area or head straight on for wanaka

Then once in wanaka puzzling world and the mou waho island cruise and walk how long to complete and accomodation ideas is one night enough in wanaka or 2

Then queenstown for remainder of trip probably going to spend 2 nights here any accomodation ideas

Thanks again for your help and knowledge

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Island with 2 kids 7 days

Hi John - the Internet a fabulous tool - you can research anything with just a few clicks.

Aoraki/Mt Cook accommodation - just look at the top 3, the others aren't in the village wotif.co.nz/hotels/…

check the websites for trip duration.

If your kids like cool adventures they should love the trips

one night is fine for Aoraki/Mt Cook - you ahe the afternoon of the day you arrive and the following morning to explore

stay Wanaka 2 nights

Queenstown accommodation wotif.co.nz/hotels/new-zealand-queenstown-ho…

happy planning :)

9. Re: South Island with 2 kids 7 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:18