We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS - TomTom vs Hertz Neverlost

London, United...
Level Contributor
301 posts
344 reviews
Save Topic
GPS - TomTom vs Hertz Neverlost

Hello all,

I've read many posts which say a GPS isn't necessary in South Island, however I am 'directionally challenged' (to put it mildly!), and would feel more comfortable if I had one, even if just as a backup when we are looking for places within the bigger towns, etc.

I own a TomTom device and have taken it abroad previously. Hertz also offers their own system with the rental car (Neverlost GPS). There isn't much difference in price. Does anyone have experience using both systems in New Zealand, and which would you recommend? I read a couple of bad reviews about the TomTom NZ maps, but couldn't find anything recent...

Thanks!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS - TomTom vs Hertz Neverlost

Do you have a smart phone or tablet?

Google maps or free apps like Navfree are available for the very few occasions where you might need the GPS

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS - TomTom vs Hertz Neverlost

We did fine with CoPilot on our Android phone. We only needed it for specific addresses, and even then we could have done without it. People are friendly and places are small.

London, United...
Level Contributor
301 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS - TomTom vs Hertz Neverlost

I wasn't planning on using data roaming though, I assume these apps would require data usage?

4. Re: GPS - TomTom vs Hertz Neverlost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 19:27
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS - TomTom vs Hertz Neverlost

Navfree is totally offline once you have downloaded app and maps over wifi, with Google maps you can cache offline maps for an area but a data connection is required for route calculation.

See other threads where it has been discussed but you can get SIMs for around $20 NZD which is probably less that Hertz's Never lost which has never seemed worthwhile to me.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,388 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS - TomTom vs Hertz Neverlost

If using GPS just make sure you also consult a map and/or common sense.

Visitors have been led astray by blindly following GPS when sense should have told them a dirt road is not the main route between major locations.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,457 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GPS - TomTom vs Hertz Neverlost

Yes. If a GPS tells you to go one way and the road signs say to go another, follow the road signs. NZ has excellent directional signage. Provided you know the name of the next town on your route, you will have no problems.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GPS - TomTom vs Hertz Neverlost

I have only used a NavMan car GPS so cannot speak for other brands but have found that it can at times take you down some routes that are questionable. And on the other hand when we have doubted its instructions and followed the road signs we later discovered that it had in fact given us a legitimate short cut.

As has been previously mentioned, use common sense and your own judgment, along with a good map, to decide whether to follow the GPS's instructions. It is usually very good for directions to accommodation, etc and this is where we find the best value.

If you prefer to use your Tom Tom rather than a smartphone or tablet you can download maps to put on your unit. You could also check to see if you can hire a map for a month for a much cheaper price than purchasing, as is possible with my NavMan.

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
158 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GPS - TomTom vs Hertz Neverlost

We land in Auckland and stay for 2 days then on to Wellington to catch our cruise. Where can we get a good road map of NZ? anything free?

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GPS - TomTom vs Hertz Neverlost

AA (automobile association) has excellent road maps and advice. As WLNZ said, be sure to use the road signs and maps first. Many a traveller has taken the wrong route using a GPS and ended up on shingle farm roads (which arent main highways). Armed with both you will be fine. Enjoy your trip