We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An extra day where?

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
149 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
An extra day where?

I'm on the third version of my itinerary, and by some juggling have an extra day/night to plan. So far the SI plan reads:

Arrive Christchurch drive to

Akaroa (1 night) wildlife cruise

Tekapo (1 night) glacier flight and star gazing

Wanaka (2 nights) walks, kayak, chill

Te Anau (2 nights) Milford Sound cruise, walk

Queenstown (2 nights) jet boat, walk, sightseeing

We are pretty active but not necessarily into adrenaline activities. We're not keen travelling much more, as this is the second leg of our travels.

Any suggestions for the extra night? I'm not necessarily looking for more places to go, just where would be recommended to spend the extra time.

I've had helpful comments before and know some feel Mt Cook Village is better than Tekapo but I've decided to stick with the original plan.

Thanks

Edited: 26 January 2014, 18:00
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,664 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An extra day where?

It really comes down to your interests & perhaps budget. Many would say that 2N (1D) is not enough for Queenstown - you could easily spend a week there and not run out of things to do, however most cost money. You don't say when you are going. This can also have a bearing on how busy QTN is.

Personally I think missing Aoraki/Mt Cook is a mistake.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An extra day where?

1st option - Aoraki/Mt Cook

2nd - a night in Chch

3rd - more Wanaka

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An extra day where?

If you didn't do Waitomo glow worm caves on North Island, you might spend an additional night in Te Anau and do the glow worm cruise.

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
149 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An extra day where?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We are going end of March/beginning of April, so are still planning.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: An extra day where?

Personally I would add the extra night to Wanaka. This gives you a relaxing break in the middle, and Wanaka is lovely. You can also take all day going from Tekapo to Wanaka via Mt Cook, knowing you have two full days in Wanaka, which gives you most of a day at Mt Cook. (If the weather is decent - if there is heavy overcast around Mt Cook you can drive on and not waste time looking at the cloud.)

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: An extra day where?

Although I live in the Te Anau area the glow worm caves in Te Anau should not be compared to the far superior Waitomo glow worm caves. An extra night in the Queenstown area would be my choice.

7. Re: An extra day where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:18