We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early to book activities?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
How early to book activities?

We will be travelling from 10th April until 26th April. The main reason for our trip is to attend Warbirds over Wanaka which runs over Easter (so we will be in Wanaka 18th - 21st). We will also be visiting Christchurch, Mt Cook and Queenstown. We plan to do a range of activities such as Milford Sound day trip, hoping to do a scenic flight out of either Mt Cook or Wanaka and all the activities out of Queenstown such as jet boat, zip line and other tourist stuff. What I would like to know is - how far out should I be booking activities? (considering it is Easter and I assume it will be a busy time)

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early to book activities?

A scenic flight from Wanaka to Milford would need to be booked, as would anything else in the Wanaka area. Queenstown not so much.

If you are looking at Jet boats ,my choice for value for money are the Skippers Canyon Jet and the Waiatoto River Jet boat Safari have a look http://www.trelawnb-b.co.nz/Jetboating.htm

I think you can work on planning two days ahead, that way you will have some idea on what the weather will be like.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,368 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How early to book activities?

Easter is a busy time as it is also school holidays this year. Warbirds over Wanaka is a very big event so my suggestion is to book anything you dont want to miss out on. And plan the rest of your trip around that.

April is a nice time to travel and for us Kiwis it is also the last decent holiday block so many do travel then.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How early to book activities?

Whale watching at Kaikoura needs to be booked if you are planning to do that.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early to book activities?

Also book Wanaka restaurants for evening dining well in advance - good restaurants will be fully booked through WOW.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How early to book activities?

Thanks for those that have already answered, some great advice which I will take on board. I think I will contact where we are staying in Wanaka to see if they can't organise some restaurant bookings for us over Easter. Thanks for the tip WLnz. Thanks Poppy and Trelawn, will work out what we don't want to miss and look at booking those. Whale watching is not on our agenda (was lucky enough to do that in Tonga).

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How early to book activities?

I wondered that, but thought I'd add it for others reading your thread :)

7. Re: How early to book activities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 05:18