We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon help needed!

Geraldton, Western...
Level Contributor
31 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon help needed!

Good afternoon all!

Well at the end of September my self and my wife to be are getting married. We have decided that a New Zealand holiday would be perfect for us to celebrate, In particular the South Island. A bit of help is needed though to help us plan our perfect getaway.

We are looking to fly into Queenstown, and spend 7 or 8 nights in Queenstown, hopefully catching the tail end of the ski season and having a few days in the slopes mixed with all the activities that Queenstown has to offer. (we are thinking of staying at the Hilton). We then have another 7 days to travel at our leasure. We were wondering what sort of itinerary you suggest to hire a car for the week and explore the rest of the south island.

We will be flying back home to perth from Queenstown so we need to finish back in Queenstown. I think we will see Milford Sound from Queenstown (fly, cruise, fly) so we won't need to see it again by car (i also heard the drive can be dangerous).

Any advice is definately more than welcome. Also would it be to cold to hire a campervan being it september / October or she we hire a subaru and stay in accomodation along the way.

Thanks in advance!

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon help needed!

With a week you could do a nice loop around Wanaka, Mt Cook, Oamaru and Dunedin. That would offer a lot of variety, with alpine and coastal scenery, wildlife and historical sights, and Dunedin has good restaurants and museums.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,274 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon help needed!

It is a pity you have to return to QTN as that limits your travel, unless you are prepared to push it a bit:

1. Drive to Wanaka;

2. Drive to Franz Josef Glacier (2N)

3. Explore; heli-hike;

4. Drive to Christchurch (2N)

5. Explore Chch;

6. Drive to Mt Cook

7. Drive to QTN

If you have to fly out on day 7, doing this trip in reverse means a short drive from Wanaka to QTN on day 7.

3. Re: Honeymoon help needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 06:18