We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild flowers & trees

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
347 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Wild flowers & trees

Can we anticipate seeing many wildflowers in bloom in the first 2 weeks of November in the western half of South Island? If so, are there some places along the west coast, western fiordland and western Otago that we should expect and look for them?

Can anyone direct me to websites that might give me some education between now and then on what the various flowers and trees are and look like? Don't want to come away not knowing what we saw on our trip. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Otago Region
Otago Region
South Island, New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,618 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild flowers & trees

It is a bit early for most flowering trees except the glorious golden Kowhai tree, which flowers in Sept/October & may be over by November. Alpines generally begin in December & the rata, for which the west coast is famous, tends to flower in january/February - although come to think of it, I haven't seen any yet this year.

Most NZ natives tend to have inconspicuous flowers; and many or our trees belong to the same group as Pines, (gymnosperms) so don't "flower" at all.

In rural townships & cities such as Christchurch, you will see a profusion of introduced garden flowers such as Rhododendrons, which do very well in NZ.

You might consider buying a book like this:

The Reed Field Guide to New Zealand Alpine Flora and Fauna by Brian Parkinson (Oct 19, 2001)

Airport bookshops & chains such as Whitcoulls may also carry small, softcover guides to the most common species.

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,351 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild flowers & trees

Lupins in Central Otago and Lake Tekapo are absolutely stunning. The flower mid November to mid December. amusingplanet.com/2013/03/flowering-of-lupin…

Mentioned in this post
Central Otago
Central Otago
Otago Region, New Zealand
Lake Tekapo
Lake Tekapo
2,106 Reviews
Lake Tekapo, New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild flowers & trees

Some great pics on your link Poppy - I love lupin season - the Crown Range also has great lupins.

A note to visitors, please don't do what I have seen a number of tourists do and climb fences into paddocks to take pics. The land is private and fences usually means stock. I once saw an Asian man with two young kids walking towards cattle in a paddock!! - cattle often don't take kindly to strangers in their paddock - a recipe for disaster.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild flowers & trees

I have no idea what it is but right now an orange flower is in full bloom alongside much of the road verges over the West Coast. It does look pretty but is most a weed gone out of control.

Cabbage trees (Cordyline australis) flower in spring and early summer so they should be flowering.

Mentioned in this post
West Coast Region
West Coast Region
Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
347 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild flowers & trees

The lupines in the photos are beautiful, but I did not realize that they were a non-native invasive specie.

If you think they are harmful, wait till all those deer begin to breed outside of fences with no natural enemies to eat them! At least, unlike with possum, there are good venison recipes.

Thank you all for the info.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,351 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild flowers & trees

Yea the lupins are a non native wildflower species. Many alpine flowers may be flowering at the time of your visit if you want native flowering plants. many of our native plants have smaller flowers. the rata and pohutakawa are the most commonly known. but they flower later, and also the ponutukawa is more a northern coastal plant. Cabbage trees have lovely branches of flowers.

Ashhurst, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild flowers & trees

Too late on the deer front! We've got 6 species of deer (plus thar, chamois, goats etc) that have been naturalised in NZ for over a hundred years; there's almost nowhere in the country without them.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wild flowers & trees

mid Novemebr to Mid dec in the Alpine regions, The Giant Mountain Butter Cup can be found, more commonly known as the MtCook Lilly. On Arthur's pass the MtCook Lilly can be found from the Temple basin car Park to the bottom of Peg Leg hill. they can be found at other alpine places, but are extremely rare. Mountain daisies flower for a longer period and over a longer distance of the alpine pass. Clematis comes out early summer and can be seen among mature native West Coast temerate rain forest

Mentioned in this post
West Coast Region
West Coast Region
New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wild flowers & trees

<<If you think they are harmful, wait till all those deer begin to breed outside of fences with no natural enemies to eat them! >>

They have enemies alright - us!!! Natural, organic wild venison is on my dinner plate at least three times a week in various forms (steak, sausages, mince, casserole, pie, etc etc). Have not and am not keen to try possum but there are people who eat them.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,351 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wild flowers & trees

stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/nz/9718552/M…

I think this is a great article as well with photos of the lupins