We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waterfalls

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
waterfalls

I've been reading and making a list of waterfalls along our route on South Island that even non-hikers like us can walk to and from in less than 45 minutes. Most look tall and straight and beautiful. Does South Island have any big, high volume falls like Huka Falls in NI which I think is on the Waikoto River?

And if you get too tired of my questions just say "STOP!" And I might for a while.

Thanks for all the help, though.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,694 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: waterfalls

Maruia Falls on the Lewis Pass Rd to Nelson.

Keep the questions coming. We love 'em.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 04:13
Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: waterfalls

One of my favourite waterfalls is in the Catlins - Purakaunui Falls. Just gorgeous.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 04:18
Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: waterfalls

The pictures look great, but would you help me a little more? We will be traveling from Christchurch the morning of Nov 4th through Arthur's Pass to Murchison where we will stay the night and do "family rafting" on the Buller the next morning, Nov 5th. Those are set.

On the map I have, which does not show the Falls, it looks as though west of Arthur's Pass we could turn north on a little road through Moana, hit 7, go to Reefton and then turn back to the southeast on 7 to Springs Junction, then north on 65, hitting 6 just outside of Murchison. If we did that, would we pass the Falls? Since our number 1 & 2 one goals are to see the scenery & people we don't mind circling around some, but lack of time is our enemy. After the rafting we will head for Cape Foul Wind and other commitments. Because we live with long drives every day.that will not be a problem. Think we can do it or do you think we need to skip the falls?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: waterfalls

I can't advise on specific falls, but if you can, try to drive or bus to Milford Sound on a really rainy day. The amount of waterfalls is just mind-blowing. I couldn't believe it when I'd look around and see 60 different 1000+ foot waterfalls/cascades coming down at once right before the Homer Tunnel when I was there November 10th, 2012. If you happen to be in Te Anau or Manapouri on a day when there's a storm in the area, it's absolute must-see. But have a great raincoat, because the rain gets serious there. You have a good chance, since our tour guide said it rains 2 out of every 3 days at Milford Sound.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 05:48
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,694 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: waterfalls

Maruia Falls are on SH65 from Springs Junction to Murchison. They are 21 Km south of Murchison, so barely 10 min off your planned route from Reefton to Murchison.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: waterfalls

Are you going to Wanaka and/orFiordland? Surtherland Falls is stunning - you can't drive there http://www.worldtoptop.com/sutherland-falls/

a flight from Wanaka …wordpress.com/2010/05/08/i-love-helicopters/

Plus Milford Sound in heavy rain has a brilliant display of waterfalls - hundreds cascading down.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: waterfalls

Regarding the original question of does the South Island have any big, high volume falls like Huka Falls the answer is no. Huka Falls are unique because they are formed by water draining out of Lake Taupo being squeezed through a 20 metre wide gorge and over a 20m drop along the narrow stretch of the river. The Waikato River is normally 100m wide so that is why there is so much water at these falls.

All waterfalls are unique - there are much higher waterfalls elsewhere in the country which are just as spectacular as the Huka Falls but in a different kind of way.

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: waterfalls

Thank you all. When you come from an annual rainfall of 22 inches, the waterfalls are especially amazing.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: waterfalls

What weta said (above) very cool waterfalls and easy walk.

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
295 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: waterfalls

Must be a powerful lot of water going over Maruia Falls for people to have been washed away twice in the last month!

We won't be getting to the southeast quadrant this trip, but I'll add the Catlins to my next time list..