We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox Glacier hike

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
159 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Fox Glacier hike

Hi all

Currently deciding if I should take the half day hike or the helihike. Helihike sounds great but the cost a major concern or rather is the heli ride necessary if I could manage the half day hike psychically.

I read from websites that for the half day hike, you will need to climb 700 steps before stepping on the glacier. I am an overly obese old man who seldom exercise and don't really walk that much.

Hence, I will like to hear the views of those who had experienced the half day hike and perhaps share with me their experience i.e. How psychically demanding etc.

TIA.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fox Glacier hike

The steps can be pretty fatiguing, and are in the first hour of the trip. If you don't exercise or walk much they'll likely be pretty difficult and maybe suck the enjoyment out of the walk. The guides do keep a relaxed pace to help ensure everyone is having a good time though. With that said, the walking on the ice is a lot easier that those steps (at least it was when I did the full day). I would definitely opt for the helihike. Plus you're likely going to be on a more impressive, pristine section of the glacier.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 02:26
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
159 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fox Glacier hike

Hi Spurs

Thanks for your inputs.

Is it really 700 steps and took an hour?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fox Glacier hike

I don't know if it's 700 steps, but it seems like a lot. I think an hour sounds about right, maybe more. The half day trip is about 3 hours with 1 hour ice time, correct? The hike through the rainforest (including the steps) is really fun, but it's definitely the hardest part. You should email them and ask if the Fox Trot (half day tour) takes the same route on to the glacier that the Nimble Fox (full day tour) does though, because that's what I'm basing my evaluation of the steps on. It sounds like the same thing, but I'd check with them before making any firm plans.

J S
San Diego...
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fox Glacier hike

Our heli-hike was cancelled due to bad weather so we decided to do the Fox Glacier Valley Walk self guided hike. This is free with the exception of your transportation expenses (we had a rental car). You can do the return walk at an easy pace within 2 hours. The last section is a good hill but you can take your time. The view is right above the glacier and you can take some good pictures. You can see all the people that bought the guided tour walking on the ice. We personally didn't feel that would enhance our experience plus the surrounding views during the walk are amazing. You can then use your extra time to also do the Franz glacier walk. Also an amazing walk full of scenery but only minimal glacier views. I'm sure the heli-hike is awesome but we're glad we did the walks.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fox Glacier hike

All uphill walking and climbing steps is hard going if you seldom exercise and don't really walk that much. Once on the ice some of the steps you climb are not that close together and require a bit of leg strength to get up them.

I think you would enjoy the heli-hike experience much more than a half-day hike. Besides, you get much more time on the ice than you would by hiking there.

6. Re: Fox Glacier hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:17