We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound & Doubtful Sound

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
18 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Milford Sound & Doubtful Sound

hi everyone! i've been reading up about both Sounds, and i'm trying to work out an itinerary so that I can go both - a Milford Sound Nature Cruise and Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise. i'll be there in the second week of May.

i'd like to gather some opinions here, would doing both be an overkill? should i just stick to one?

thanks everyone!

California
Level Contributor
7,169 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Sound & Doubtful Sound

How long is your total trip? If it's 2 weeks or less, it's probably overkill.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Sound & Doubtful Sound

Perhaps if you post your entire itinerary we can see where, if anywhere, your time could be better spent.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
18 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Sound & Doubtful Sound

sorry for not posting it the first time! here's my itinerary :

May 1st - Arrive AKL, fly AKL - Wellington

May 2nd - Board ferry to Picton, bus to Kaikoura

May 3rd - Kaikoura

May 4th - Kaikoura - Christchurch

May 6th - TranzAlpine, then bus to Franz Josef

May 7th - Franz Josef

May 8th - Franz Josef - Queenstown

May 9th, 10th, 11th - Queenstown

May 12th - Queenstown - Auckland

May 13th - Depart for home

planning to check the Sounds out during my Queenstown stay.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
797 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Sound & Doubtful Sound

I have done both and both are amazing experiences. However you realistically only have 3 full days in Queenstown and doing both would be too much of a rush.

On this trip I would advise doing only an overnight cruise in Milford Sound, (Coach, cruise and then fly back to Queenstown), which is also amazing. The nature cruise is nice but waking in the early morning in one of the Sounds is such an amazing wow experience whatever the weather. You will love it and plan to return at a later date to do the Doubtful Sound excursion.

You'll also find your spare time will be well spent doing other things around Queenstown.

One of my favourite jet boating experiences is the Dart River Wilderness Safari.

http://www.dartriver.co.nz/wilderness-jet/

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,085 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milford Sound & Doubtful Sound

I don't think you have time for an overnight cruise, which will take 2 days out of your 3 in QTN. Better to do a full day tour to Milford Sound & enjoy the many activities in QTN onthe other days. If you were coming in summer my advice might be different.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milford Sound & Doubtful Sound

Yep best to do just one - I have overnighted Doubtful - lovely.

However I think the Milford Road shouldn't be missed. So my recommendation - do the Milford day tour. Your limited time will fly by in Queenstown.

About Kaikoura - I would opt to spend one night there - you can doa whale watch or dolphin tour in the morning then in the afternoon bus to Chch.

This would allow a day to explore Chch, or Wanaka, or spend longer in Queenstown.

Happy travels :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
66 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milford Sound & Doubtful Sound

We have done both, and your best bet is to make Te Anau your base for a day or 2. One of the best parts about Milford Sound is the drive in, so you could drive in (allow 2 hours to get to Milford Sound) do a boat trip around Milford Sound, or a chopper ride, then drive back to Te Anau, sleep, then in the morning quick drive down to Manapouri, hop on the boat that will take you to the underground power station (worth a look) then a shuttle over the pass and finally onto the boat at doubtful sound.

Enjoy!

8. Re: Milford Sound & Doubtful Sound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:20