We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8-day self-drive tour from Picton to Christchurch

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Topic
8-day self-drive tour from Picton to Christchurch

Hi everyone.

My family and I (5 of us) are going to do a self-drive, starting from Picton (ferry from Wellington at 9am 11 March 2014), and we have a flight to catch at Christchurch at 7.45am 19 March 2014.

Very limited time, I know, but I hope you guys can help us out.

We would like to do the Kawarau bungy jump, and would like to see Milford Sounds, Mt. Cook (helicopter tour) and Franz Josef Glacier hike (or is Fox Glacier better?). Is this feasible in 8 days? Is there anything nearby/along the way that we could squeeze in as well without burning us out?

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8-day self-drive tour from Picton to Christchurch

Welcome to the forum :)

I don't see how you can drive to Queenstown and back to Chch in 8 days.

11 ferry to Picton, drive to Westport

12 drive to Franz or Fox

13 explore glacier

14 drive to Wanaka

15 drive to Queenstown

16 explore

17 bus/cruise/bus Miflord Sound

18 afternoon flight to Chch

19 fly out

11 ferry to Picton, drive to Chch

12 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

13 explore Tasman glacier and icebergs

14 drive to Wanaka

15 drive to Te Anau

16 drive to Milford, cruise, back to Te Anau

17 drive to Queenstown

18 fly to Chch...

hope this helps :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
66 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8-day self-drive tour from Picton to Christchurch

Hi there it will be a bit of a stretch to do all those in 8 days, its possible, but most of your days will be taken up on the road in the car.

Best bet is to go Picton - Punakaiki - Greymouth - glaciers - Queenstown - Te Anau - Milford - Te Anau - Cromwell - Twizel - Ashburton - CHCH

You would fit a bit more by flying into CHCH and start your driving from there

Have Fun!!

Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8-day self-drive tour from Picton to Christchurch

Yes it's possible......but will be a whistle stop, whip in whip out kind of tour!

Our roads can be quite challenging. It may not look far on the map, but will take a lot of time between places

Personally I would be looking at a one way trip from Picton to Queenstown, and a flight back to Christchurch to give me more time. It will still be rushed, with not much down time.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8-day self-drive tour from Picton to Christchurch

You could fly to Christchurch from the off, that would give you more time. Then you could:

Drive to Hokitika via Arthurs Pass, 1 night, drive to one of the Glaciers, 1 or 2 nights, drive to Wanaka (long all day drive) 1 or 2 nights, drive Queenstown, from there you can take an organised coach tour to Milford sound or you could drive to Te Anau from Wanaka stay for a couple of nights and take the tour from there.

By the time you get to Queenstown you'll probably be pretty tired, the drive down the west coast although beautiful is long & tiring because of the concentration required and the road to Milford sound is not especially easy to drive either.

depending on how you spread out your days you could then stay in Queenstown for a night or two then drive straight back up to Chch - another long drive but do-able or stop off in Mt Cook.

I think what everyone is trying to say is that you're not going to be able to drive from Picton to Milford then back to Chch in the 8 days, you'd see nothing it would be an awful waste of your time in N.Z.

And hey....if you don't get to see everthing you want to then you'll just have to go back!!

5. Re: 8-day self-drive tour from Picton to Christchurch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 06:17