We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruce Bay white rocks

2 posts
Save Topic
Bruce Bay white rocks

Hi,

I know the meaning behind the piles of white rocks at Bruce Bay (West coast; between Haast and Fox Glacier) has been discussed on here before but I'm more interested in specifically what type of rocks they are.

For those unfamiliar, the rocks are white, very smooth, slightly translucent and seem to have very small crystals in them (I think quartz?) that glisten in the sun. The rocks are plentiful at Bruce Bay. I'm afraid I don't have a picture but a quick google of 'white rocks Bruce bay' should show you what I'm talking about.

If anyone has an idea of what they are (or can point me in the direction of a geologist!) I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruce Bay white rocks

And if you rub them together then they glow.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruce Bay white rocks

They are probably Quartz. There is a lot of quartz in NZ due to it having spent millennia under the sea. This link discusses quartz rocks producing sparks and glowing.

uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index…

Quartz, Marble and Limestone are all different stages of the same material.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 23:27
3. Re: Bruce Bay white rocks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 06:17