We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't get seat assignments on flights

NC
Level Contributor
508 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Can't get seat assignments on flights

I just looked at my reservations with Orbitz again and it says "Seats are unassigned on one or more of your flights. The airline will assign your seats at check-in." When I booked it had me go through all the seat assignments. I've never booked a flight through Orbitz before but I've always been able to assign my seats.

I thought maybe Air New Zealand doesn't assign seats for their domestic flights so I tried to assign seats again and none of my seat assignments are there. When I submit after making new seat assignments, I keep getting a error that says please try again. Please tell me I should be able to get my seats assigned in advance, at least for my main flights. I really don't want to sit by myself on a 13 hr flight! I'm flying United and New Zealand Air over and New Zealand and Delta back.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,367 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't get seat assignments on flights

I have always been able to select my seats on Air NZ on the first attempt.

Re Orbitz - possibly post on the air travel forum - just take care as they can be fiesty over there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Best of luck :)

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't get seat assignments on flights

Try going into the Delta and AirNZ websites. I know on AirNZ site you can log in to view your booking and will be able to get seats. Note that depending on the fare class you booked, you maybe have to pay extra to choose a seat, especially for exit rows.

Or, if you really want specific seats, and no other option works... call the airlines...

NC
Level Contributor
508 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't get seat assignments on flights

Thanks. I *think* I have seats assigned. After it didn't work within Orbitiz, I tried going to the individual airlines using their specific record locator, starting with United, but I couldn't get in. That's when I posted this question. I decided to try NZA, and I had seats for all but the return flight to LAX. There were only 2 sets of adjacent seats left, way back in row 56 and 57. I selected them but when I submitted I got a message that that seat would be assigned at check-in. Argh! But when I went back and looked at my assignments, they were all there. I printed out my seat selection right then, not that that will do me any good. I finally got into my United reservation after logging into my FF account and it had my seat assignments. Delta didn't but I was able to select them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't get seat assignments on flights

AirNZ is pretty good at keeping travelers together. I flew last year to Norfolk Island with my parents. Despite booking our flights separately, we were sat together for both trips.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't get seat assignments on flights

I have seen Air NZ flight attendants go to quite a bit of trouble to keep families together. I once congratulated a "hostie" who had got people to move so a family could be close. She said, "today is bumpy. If the kids are appart they will get anxious."

I am a bit dissapointed that they did not seperate me from the kids once when they were small. My wife often threatens to sit somewhere else if I don't get over hating flying. I have threated to sit elswhere on long haul when she has woke me to talk about the movie she was watching :(

6. Re: Can't get seat assignments on flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 06:19