We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter itinerary

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
159 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Winter itinerary

Hi all

I will be traveling in Aug and will like some advises on my plans as follows:

D1 Arrive Christchurch in morning

Drive to Punakaiki via Arthur's Pass

D2. Drive to Fox Glacier with stopover in Franz Josef

D3. Morning helihike in Fox's Glacier

Drive to Wanaka with stopover in Lake Matheson

D4. Morning visit to Puzzling World

Drive to Te Anau

Tour of glow worm cave

D5. Drive or tour from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Is D3 rushing as I don't think I am able to make it for the helihike in D2?

Should I stay another night in Fox? However, there isn't much else to see in Fox if I opt for an additional night.

On D4, will there be time to do the glow worm cave tour upon reaching Te Anau and checking in?

TIA.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,913 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter itinerary

Hi,

Much too ambitious IMHO. I think you will find this alternative less stressful and allow more time to enjoy the sights and activities.

Day 1. After a long haul flight from Singapore it isn't wise to drive so spend your first day in NZ exploring Christchurch and get a good nights' sleep.

Day 2. Drive from Christchurch to Punakaiki and explore the Pancake Rocks. Have you checked the tides for this day?

Day 3. Drive from Punakaiki to Fox and do the Lake Matheson circuit walk.

Day 4. Fox glacier Heli Hike weather permitting or guided tour if unable to fly.

Day 5. Drive Fox to Wanaka and explore. Puzzling world is a must. Hire ski gear.

Day 6. Ski lesson package at Cardrona.

Day 7. Drive Wanaka to Te Anau.

Day 8. Fiordland tour.

What I have outlined is achievable and allows a little time but you are still travelling nearly every day. How long do you have in NZ? If you are limited to only 5 days I would cut out the west coast completly to allow for Fiordland and skiing. You could also save time by flying direct to Queenstown.

Cheers,

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
159 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter itinerary

Hi OZ

I have 13N in SI. This is the first part of my itinerary, intend to iron it the first part first to ensure that it's doable and not too rushed! Thanks for your comments.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,913 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter itinerary

Hi,

Great! Thirteen nights gives you a much better glimpse of the South Island and allows you time to undertake some activities.

Part two suggestions:

Days 6 & 7 Ski Cardrona out of Wanaka.

Day 8. Wanaka to Te Anau

Day 9. Fiordland tour.

Day 10. Te Anau to Queenstown explore, ski hire and dinner @ Skyline Restaurant.

Day 11. Ski Remarkables.

Day 12. Ski Remarkables.

Day 13. Skippers Canyon tour

Day 14. Depart for home.

Cheers,

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
159 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter itinerary

Hi OZ

Not that keen in that much skiing. Probably 1 day will do.

The Remarkables seemed a good choice but I understand that the drive up is perhaps more dangerous as the roads are unsealed.

The rest of the days, I am thinking of Mt Cook, lake Tekapo , Dunedin, Oamaru and Akaroa.

However, the route will be zig zag from central (Queenstown) to east (Dunedin) to central (Mt Cook) and back to east (Akaroa).

Any suggestion to better the route?

TIA.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 03:31
5. Re: Winter itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 06:19