We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Island Christmas: older woman and younger relative?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
South Island Christmas: older woman and younger relative?

Hello:

I have finally managed to organize myself to be in New Zealand (South Island) over Christmas. It is early to be thinking about Christmas, but things fill up fast there and I am often away from the internet during the second half of the year.

I will visit a relative who is in her sixties. I would very much like to arrange a arrange a vacation for us in the South Island over the Christmas period, for about 5 - 10 days.

I would like us to be somewhere where there are things to do. And for Christmas dinner, I'd like access to a restaurant or cooking facilities. My relative cannot walk long distances, so tramping/hiking is not an option. She probably would not want to be in a tour bus all day. However, she is easy to please otherwise. I think she would be happy relaxing somewhere beautiful or looking around craft stores or going on cruises. She'd probably also like to participate in short organized activities. I love to be more active, but I'm happy to go along with whatever she feels like doing.

I have spent all day on Google and have not come up with any good ideas or accommodation options. There don't seem to be any Christmas packages. Overall, my accommodation budget would be about 500 - 600 Euros (about $NZ 800 - 900).

I looked at Queenstown and Christchurch. I get the impression that Queenstown might be a little too fast-paced and expensive. I don't think my relative would feel at home amongst partying teens or designer stores. On the plus side, it seems like there are cruises to do there, beautiful scenery to look at, and interesting activities for people who aren't so active (like a cable car ride). If I'm wrong, please let me know.

In Christchurch, I'm not sure if there is much going on over Christmas. Also, I don't see any apartments for rent and the per-night prices on decent hotels seem pretty high. As for other areas, I don't know if there's anywhere that would work for a week-long (or more) stay.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has any recommendations.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Island Christmas: older woman and younger relative?

Wanaka is far less manic than Queenstown though the place will be busy over Christmas with Kiwi families - as opposed to tourists in Queenstown.

Nelson is a great wee city to explore and has magical weather - and you could take a day to explore Abel Tasman National Park by cruise while you enjoy a walk and/or kayak.

Dunedin is another lovely city though the weather can be marginal - loads of great cafes, museums, plus penguins, albatross, fur seals and more.

is your accommodation budget $900 for 2 people for 10 nights?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Island Christmas: older woman and younger relative?

Rather than apartments, consider motels or even self- contained cabins at camping grounds. It would be hard, if not impossible to get accommodation under $100 pn over Xmas in a popular tourist destination.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Island Christmas: older woman and younger relative?

Thanks for your reply. It would be about $NZ 800 - 900 for five nights. If we stay longer, I would increase the budget accordingly. I'm thinking that we would share a room. Ot--if there are cheaper, decent places available, we would have separate rooms.

4. Re: South Island Christmas: older woman and younger relative?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 13:20