We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to find Travelmates older than Backpackers?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Where to find Travelmates older than Backpackers?

I am looking for a woman (between 35-50) to share a campervan, which I want to hire to explore the South Island in April. Until now I only found "Gumtree", but this site is more for backpackers and I'm out of that age. But as I'm traveling the world on a shoestring budget I need to share the camper. Anyone any other idea of travel sites for travel mates?

Thank you, Karina

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,646 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to find Travelmates older than Backpackers?

Hi Karina - I can't help with your travelmate sorry.

But have you priced a campervan? It is an expensive way to travel NZ and assuming you won't get a van with toilet and shower onboard, you will also have campground fees to pay each day - plus insurance and fuel is more costly for a van.

NZ budget travel is a compact car and staying in backpacker hostels - a shared dorm is $25 to $30 per day and you will easily meet up with others. Many are happy to help with petrol costs if you give them a ride to the next location.

Hope this helps, best of luck :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to find Travelmates older than Backpackers?

Thank you, Nelson! I really appreciate you reply and the suggestion! I know that it would be a bit cheaper to travel in a car and Hostels, but this is my dream for NZ to have a camper at least for one week. Maybe I will do a combination of both - if I find a travel mate for the camper... :-)

Thanks, Karina

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to find Travelmates older than Backpackers?

I think you find there are many backpackers much older than yourself. Sometimes traveling is not only about the places you see, it is often about the people you meet. Most Backpackers will give you many more options if you want to meet some interesting fellow travelers.

Nelson is right, cheap hire car and the right hostels is the way to travel NZ

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to find Travelmates older than Backpackers?

This site might be of some help.

travbuddy.com/New-Zealand-travel-partners-c2…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to find Travelmates older than Backpackers?

Thanks you for your info!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to find Travelmates older than Backpackers?

Thank you, Wigwam! This was a very helpful link, I signed in already, exactly what I was looking for! :-)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to find Travelmates older than Backpackers?

The tone of your request, makes me feel uneasy in so much as you want a sleeper van, but a total stranger to share with you. this is not a dating site, and I feel the lack of privacy in such a situation would not be very welcome. take a car and stay in hostels if you want a total stranger to travel with you.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to find Travelmates older than Backpackers?

I don't understand what sharing a camper van to reduce costs has got to do "with dating". Guess you have to be from the west coast to make that nebulous connection.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to find Travelmates older than Backpackers?

Thanks for your kind advice, coster2, but I don't understand why you are so offended!?!

I know this is no dating site and if this would have been my intentions I would have ask for a male co-traveler, but I clearly ask for a female travel companion in my request to find someone for sharing a campervan. All what I wanted was a link - exactly what I got from Wigwam, this was very helpful and I got contacts there already. Thanks, Wigwam, for this once more!

Karina

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
343 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to find Travelmates older than Backpackers?

Car and hostels is definitely a better idea. If for whatever reason you don’t get on with your travel companion, sharing a campervan would be a nightmare.