We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiwi Slang

NC
Level Contributor
508 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Kiwi Slang

An Aussie friend just sent me this link about Kiwi Slang: theage.com.au/travel/choice-chully-bun-bro-h…

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
347 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiwi Slang

And we wonder why only 1% of kiwi visitors think they are loved :-)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiwi Slang

Actually most Aussies understand Kiwi just fine, but they enjoy taking the p*ss out of us, and we go along with it. After all, the poor sods need something to relieve the boredom of living in a country that's mostly red dirt and kangaroos.

I'm joking!!! It's just a joke!!! Get off me !!! %^^%$.. They got no sense of humor.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiwi Slang

Hi,

No one mentioned sheep or gum boots let alone the alternative national anthem. Most incomplete list.

Cheers,

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiwi Slang

Actually OZ, sheep are not so popular now. These days the companion of choice is an Aussie. They are quite expensive, and hard to house train, but if you persevere you will be amply rewarded . They are generally loving, kind, and loyal, and are usually more intelligent than sheep. They can understand simple commands, and can be trained to do simple tasks around the home. I have one myself, which I wouldn't part with for the world.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,610 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiwi Slang

Love it. I teach English to new migrants to NZild and we have a similar list (it includes "across the Ditch".

Oz
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiwi Slang

Hi vbc,

LOL :-) Maybe after the surgery I'll be house trained again?

BTW is Itchy on side ?

Cheers,

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiwi Slang

Tipped to run on for the Crusaders on Saturday, and will decide after that. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
347 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiwi Slang

The odd thing about accents is in most countries, women have a more extreme accent than men, dont know why.

Its funny that Kiwis have all sorts of jokes and sayings about Australia, because most of the time we dont remember that they exist whereas half of NZ News is about Australia.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiwi Slang

Hi,

>>Its funny that Kiwis have all sorts of jokes and sayings about Australia, because most of the time we dont remember that they exist whereas half of NZ News is about Australia.<<

Please don't include me in this generalisation. Australians who don't remember New Zealand either follow AFL instead of the "Game they play in Heaven", have never visited NZ let alone skiied there and don't understand what ANZAC stands for.

Cheers,

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
347 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kiwi Slang

Dear OZRCFLYER

Your sweeping generalization about NZ is awesome, Just because you ASSUME someone doesnt follow Rugby they are ignorant, Just because someone hasnt skiied in NZ turns them into something neanderthal.

As for not knowing the involvement of the 2 New Zealand Brigades (1st NZ infantry Brigade & NZ Rifle Brigade) in the New Zealand & Australian Division at Gallipoli and the amazing efforts of the Division in holding the lodgement and the August Offensives is so far from accurate.

I hold with my comment that while NZ News contains a lot (saying half might be an exaggeration) of Australian content while Australia pays little heed of New Zealand unless we are playing sport, most Aussies still think Robert Muldoon is PM.

No insult is directed towards our EnZed readers, this is the balance between the relative size of our Nations.