We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extending 6 days to my itenerary, Where should I go?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Extending 6 days to my itenerary, Where should I go?

Good Day Peeps, below is my rough 18 days itenerary, and would like to extend my trip for another few more days. Thinking of only altering my last few days need suggestions to where els to visit or stay. Thinking of either changing my route from Greymouth > Abel Tasman > Picton > Kaikoura > Christchurch. Or sticking to my original route and go from Christchurch > North Island. Which do you guys recommend?

Thank you very much!

21st April - [Christchurch] - Rest and Explore Around

22nd April - [Christchurch] to [Dunedine] by bus - Taieri Gorge Railway

23rd April - [Dunedine] - Otago Peninsula Wildlife Tour

24th April - [Dunedine] to [Te Anau] by bus

25th April - [Te Anau] - Milford Sound Day Tour

26th April - [Te Anau] - Doubtful Sound Overnight Cruise

27th April - [Te Anau] to [Queenstown] by bus

28th April - [Queenstown] - Skytrek Paragliding, Half Day Walk around Arrowtown

29th April - [Queenstown] - Skippers Canyon Jet, Gondola and Luge

30th April - [Queenstown] to [Mount Cook] - Kea Point Trek

1st May - [Mount Cook] - Hooker's Valley Trek, Tasman Valley 4WD Ride

2nd May - [Mount Cook] to [Wanaka] by bus

3rd May - [Wanaka] - Rob Roy Glacier Walk

4th May - [Wanaka] - Heli Scenic Flight Mt Aspiring and Glacier, Riverjourney Jetboat and Walk

5th May - [Wanaka] to [Fox Glacier] by bus - Lake Matheson Walk

6th May - [Fox Glacier] - Full Day Fox Glacier Hike

7th May - [Fox Glacier] to [Greymouth] to [Christchurch] via Transalpine

8th May - [Christchurch] - Full Day to Kaikoura Whale Watch

9th May - [Christchurch] back home

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,435 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extending 6 days to my itenerary, Where should I go?

You have a well planned trip - just one question - are you able to bus Chch to Dunedin plus also do the Taieri Gorge train all in one day? I think you might need another day in Dunedin.

And yes, up to Abel Tasman for a couple of nights then over to Kaikoura is a lovely way to end your trip.

Enjoy :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,803 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extending 6 days to my itenerary, Where should I go?

Yes, adding Abel Tasman & Picton between Greymouth & Kaikoura would be lovely.

Are you sure you can do some of the day trips eg Rob Roy Glacier & Lake Matheson without a car.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,745 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extending 6 days to my itenerary, Where should I go?

I would add the top of the south island. Golden bay, Abel Tasman, maybe Queen Charlotte sound, Nelson.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,435 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extending 6 days to my itenerary, Where should I go?

There is a shuttle to the Rob Roy Glacier trailhead, however I'm not sure if it operates in May alpineconnexions.co.nz/scheduled-service/…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extending 6 days to my itenerary, Where should I go?

Thanks all for the suggestions!

For chchurch > dunedin (Taeri Gorge)

Im sure it will be very rush but im hoping I could catch it on time.. if not I would have to give it a miss..

As for Rob Roy Glacier im hoping for a shuttle service to be operating during that period.. if not I would have to go for a tour which is much more expensive..

Lake Matheson is within walkable distance from my lodge so I guess its possible to make it without a car..

Anw.. im thinking of another alternative route to tour 3 areas in north island namely waitomo caves.. Rotorua and tongariro crossing.. issit possible to do it in 6 days by bus or train?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,435 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extending 6 days to my itenerary, Where should I go?

The bus Chch to Dunedin takes 6 hours - you arrive in the city long after the morning train has left.

You will need to investigate the bus and train schedule to see if your NI plans work.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extending 6 days to my itenerary, Where should I go?

Thanks WLnz for your replies.. I've decided to leave out north island for my nxt trip in future.. Probably will go for abel tasman > kaikoura > christchurch route..

Btw is there any direct bus or way from greymouth to marahau to visit abel tasman? The best way i found now is to take a bus to nelson and transfer to another shuttle to marahau the nxt morning.. Which will waste up 1of my nights..

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,435 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extending 6 days to my itenerary, Where should I go?

Well I would argue spending a night in Nelson is never a 'waste'.

and yes, you need to change buses in Nelson.

Enjoy :)

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
677 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extending 6 days to my itenerary, Where should I go?

I think the morning Intercity bus from Christchurch will drop you off in Dunedin at 1:45 p.m. I believe they drop off at 7 Halsey St. which is downtown, but about 11 blocks from the Octagon. It's kind of a long unpleasant walk. Atomic Shuttle drops off in front of the more centrally located Railway Station, only about four blocks from the Octagon. So if you have to walk all this way, I hope you'll have a backpack or a travel bag with wheels--and I hope you'll get good weather. Don't forget your waterproof jacket. If you need a woolen cap or gloves, you can always buy something in downtown Dunedin (along George Street).

There are a lot of hostels/hotels/motels, shops, even a Countdown Supermarket, near the Octagon. You can also get free Internet access at the Dunedin Library (a few steps from the Octagon) and City Art Gallery (at the Octagon). The I-Site Tourism information office is also steps from the Octagon; you can pick up tons of brochures and arrange for your wildlife tour here. I recommend Elm Wildlife Tour OR the Monarch Cruise with a late afternoon tour of Penguin Place.

Yes, too late for the train, if you arrive in Dunedin in the afternoon, but after you get checked in, you can walk over to the Octagon, visit the Dunedin City Art Gallery, or the Railway Station and Toitu Museum (next door to it), or take a tour of Speight's Brewery, or take the bus to Baldwin Street or walk to the Otago Museum (University Clock Tower is nearby). If it's a nice day you can catch the bus to Botanical Garden or St. Clair Beach.

If you only manage to do half the things on your planned list, you'll still have a wonderful time.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Extending 6 days to my itenerary, Where should I go?

Thank PassarinhoAzul for the helpful advices and suggested things to do in Dundine!

And yea intercity bus will drop me off at 7 Halsey Street. I've already book my stay at Hogwartz Backpackers at 277 Rattray Street so I'm thinking of catching a taxi from the dropoff point to my stay and have a fast check in before making my way over to the train station which is just a 10mins walk down from the hostel for the train ride.

But oh well thats my ideal plan. If I were to miss the train I guess I will just follow ur advices and tour around the city area in the day then.