We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you could choose...

Upstate, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
If you could choose...

If you had an unlimited budget and could choose any five activities on the south island, what would you do? What type of tour / adventure?

My top five things to do are the Milford Sound, Franz Josef Heli-Hike, kayak among glaciers/ice in a beautiful lake, skydive, see beautiful scenery (LOTR tour?). I'm just unsure of the best ways to do each of these....

What is the best, most incredible way to see the Milford Sound? Any recommendations on the best (great views/photos & walk on glacier) heli-hike tour?

Is it worth it to take a 4x4 LOTR tour to see the scenery?

We will have a car & are leaving on... MONDAY!

Thanks for your input & thoughts- I can't wait to see your responses!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you could choose...

Milford Sound.... from Queenstown - bus there, cruise, fly back to Queenstown by helicopter

Franz Josef Heli-Hike... yes, do it

kayak among glaciers/ice in a beautiful lake... LOL the Tasman glacier terminal lake must rank highly amongst the most ugly lakes on the planet - but it is cool to kayak alongside icebergs!

skydive - Wanaka

LOTR tour - Nomad Safaris

and another trip to consider - a heli-flight over Wanaka's glaciers - simply breathtaking …wordpress.com/2010/05/08/i-love-helicopters/

enjoy :)

Upstate, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you could choose...

Thanks for the reply WLnz! For the Milford Sound Coach-Cruise-Helicopter would you suggest Milford Sound Select? Or is there another reliable company?

I was also looking at staying at the Fiordland Lodge and doing their tours of Milford / Doubtful / Dusky Sound.

Any recommended companies for sky diving?

I'm going to post a rough itinerary in a moment if you wouldn't mind looking at it?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you could choose...

Milford - there are no wrong options - go with whatever suits you best.

Wanaka skydiving - there is only one!

and yep, post your itinerary - always good to get another opinion or two before you get there :)

Upstate, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you could choose...

Posted. Thanks so much for your help!

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: If you could choose...

The scenic Heli flight in Milford Sound is one of the best available. Make sure you tell others on TA about your experiences after your trip.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you could choose...

We stayed at Fiordland Lodge and did the Trips'N'Tramps tour from there.This is a small group tour and I highly recommend it.

Then,separately,Andy the lodge manager organised a helicopter to pick us up from the lawn and fly us over the mountains and Doubtful and Dusky Sounds.This was about one and half hours and included to mountain top landings.It was fantastic.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you could choose...

Oops,sorry for the spelling mistake of two.

Upstate, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you could choose...

Mummygaot- thanks for the information. Fiordland Lodge looks like it would be an amazing option. I'm glad you chimed in and recommend it. I will check out the trips'n'tramps- is that through the lodge or a separate group?

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you could choose...

It's the company the lodge uses so they can book it for you or book it yourself on line.Either way,you'll be picked up from the lodge.As it is a small group tour ,maximum of no more than about a dozen people,it might be wise to email the lodge and get them to sort it out for you along with the heli trip which I see you are planning to do.

We loved our stay at Fiordland Lodge and would love to return there sometime.

10. Re: If you could choose...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 05:16