We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any other alternatives?

S'pore
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any other alternatives?

We plan to travel to Mt cook from Wanaka in this November by using the intercity flexipass. However, I was told by intercity that pass does not cover the bus route from Wanaka to Tarras (which is a 25 mins ride and costs $40 per pax), it only cover the route from Tarras to Mt Cook.

We find the 25 mins ride from Wanaka to Tarraa very expensive. We have 4 persons traveling in our group. Is there any other cheaper alternatives (by other bus operators) to travel from Wanaka to Tarras? If hiring a cab, would it costs less than $160?

kindly advise pls......many thanks in advance.....

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any other alternatives?

Check out nakedbus - around $15 a person. Check out atomictravel.com - they have some $15 fares as well, oddly enough on Intercity. A Wanaka taxi company is http://www.yello.co.nz.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any other alternatives?

The other option might be to get yourself to Queenstown, which is where the IC bus is likely starting from (check that, obviously).

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any other alternatives?

The bus will also stop in Cromwell - a bit of a hub for changing buses. This is 20 min further from wanaka, but it may be that the Mt Cook bus is timed to connect with a bus leaving Cromwell for Wanaka. Contact Yello also to get a quote as it may work out cheaper to get the taxi from Tarras. Sorry, I have no idea how much buses cost.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,296 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any other alternatives?

Perhaps if you post your whole itinerary we might be able to tweak it better. Does Intercity provide a route map for their Flexi-pass?

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any other alternatives?

Unless you are planning a day trip ....just a thought .... one taxis may not be big enough for 4 people plus bags?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any other alternatives?

I think the taxi which usually does the Wanaka to Tarras route is a mini-van - so 4 pax plus luggage should be fine.

Contact the Wanaka i-SITE and ask them for your best option lakewanaka.co.nz/new-zealand/…

best of luck :)

S'pore
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any other alternatives?

I have checked with yello cab. It only cost $80 for 4 persons to Tarras from Wanaka. 50% cheaper compared to the charges by intercity....

8. Re: Any other alternatives?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 06:16