We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks in June

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
116 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Walks in June

Hi all!

I'm making my way to the south island with my boyfriend, from 14th June to 22nd June. I'm thinking of doing some walks but I'm not sure if it's advisable in Winter. I've read somewhere that certain walks will be closed or in conducive due to ice. I'll be going to Christchurch (2N), Tekapo (1N), Wanaka (1N), Queenstown (4N). I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any walks in these places that are doable in winter? I'm not big on adventures like bungee jumping etc, but we're definitely looking to do some activities such as walking or cycling. Are there any other activities we can do?

Also, my boyfriend and I are new to skiing. am wondering if there's any place that we can go to that's not packed with skiers where we can pick up skiing?

Your help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walks in June

The Washpen Falls hike is worthwhile, there are multiple day walks in the all the areas that you are going that will be fine.

Go learn to ski at Ohau on your way through, it won't be packed mid-week and is great fun.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,772 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walks in June

Wanaka is probably a better place than Queenstown to learn to ski, but it will depend on the season as to which fields are good this early in the winter. You would need a minimum of 2 N there to get a full day.

Most walks are doable in winter as long as you are warmly dressed (layers are necessary). You almost certainly will need gloves & a woolly hat, as well as good boots, or at least a sacrificial pair of sports shoes as tracks are likely to be muddy.

Why are you skipping Aoraki/Mt Cook - the best of the SI's National Parks IMO? Lots of fabulous short walks such as Kea Point & the Hooker Valley.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walks in June

wonderful walks through nz in all seasons. some are just short, some are multi hikes. The following Dept of Conservation website will be a good start …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
116 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walks in June

Hi thanks eating_eater! May I know how long the Washpen Falls hike is?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
116 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walks in June

Hi zhuhai! Thanks for helping out again! Well, we've only 1 week in south island before my bf gotta go back to auckland for work, so we wanna focus in queenstown. We're planning to go star gazing in tekapo at night, so that left us with one day so we decided on Wanaka. We'll definitely visit Mt Cook one of these days!

are there any walks that are especially nice in winter? (or not as bad due to the weather?)

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walks in June

Washpen Falls, depends, it's an easy afternoon walk, stunning stroll though.

If you've never skied, I would certainly learn at Ohau for a day, then if you like it - head to Queenstown.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
116 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walks in June

Hey thanks! Will check these places out!

8. Re: Walks in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 06:16