We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abel Tasman & Wharariki Beach

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Abel Tasman & Wharariki Beach

We will be spending 3 days in the ATNP at the end of February 2015, 2 adults and 2 teenagers staying in a campervan. We plan on spending our time kayaking,hiking and enjoying the beaches.I am also a keen photographer and keen to visit Wharariki beach. I think it is about 2.5 hrs from motueka. Im not sure if we should plan on spending 1 night Motueka + 1 night Takaka + 1 night Wharariki or just drive there for the day.

We will be coming to the ATNP from Kaikoura and after spending three days at the ATNP we will be heading off to Punakaika. any advice greatly appreciated.Many thanks.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abel Tasman & Wharariki Beach

If you are visiting ABNP I would suggest you dont spend a night in Motueka but spend the night in Kaiteriteri, or Marahau. Depending on which cruise option you take i.e. some leave from Kaiteriteri and some Marahau. There are some great day trips and I suggest you do one which combines boat trip, kayak and walk. You wouldnt regret seeing all the options.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

There are a numer of different kayak companies but check this out

http://www.abeltasmankayaks.co.nz/fullday

To really get the most out of your day in AT the further into the park you go the better!

Wharikiki is a great beach and photographers delight. nearly always seals around as well. The whole Golden

bay has lots to offer so I think you will need more than 2.5 hours travelling to allow for stops. Do stop at Pupu springs (one of the clearest waters in the world), the hydro walk is also very good. anatoki salmon is a family favourite of ours. Catch a salmon in the pond, have it smoked and eat. golden bay is spread out so if you intend seeing the sights a night at Wharikiki or Pakawau would enable you to take your time. However, you are in a campervan so you could decide as you go. The campgrounds will not be booked up at end of Feb.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 20:14
Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abel Tasman & Wharariki Beach

As a photographer you would want to be at Wharariki dusk and dawn to get the most interesting light. so I suggest spending a night at Puponga. Kaihoka Beach is also rather nice but its a reasonable drive along a gravel road.

3. Re: Abel Tasman & Wharariki Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 05:17