We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My rough itinerary for 2 weeks in a campervan. Thoughts?

Katherine, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
My rough itinerary for 2 weeks in a campervan. Thoughts?

My partner and I are heading over in late October and will spend 2 weeks driving a campervan around the South Island. This is what I've got so far:

Day 1 Arrive Christchurch

Day 2 C/church to Dunedin via Timaru & Oamaru

Day 3 Dunedin

Day 4 Drive Dunedin to Te Anau

Day 4 Day trip to Milford Sound (90min cruise booked but rethinking taking the coach from Te Anau option to be safe) either overnight at Milford or head back to Te Anau for the night

Day 6 Te Anau to Qtown (gondola and lunch at skyline restaurant booked)

Day 7 Gonna fit in a skydive and 1 or 2 other fun things

Day 8 Qtown stuff

Day 9 Qtown to Mt Cook/Aoraki via Wanaka

Day 10 Mt Cook/Aoraki

Day 11 Mt Cook/Aoraki to Franz Josef & Fox Glaciers

Day 12 Glaciers to Christchurch via Arthur's Pass (do these last few days work logistically?)

Day 13 Christchurch

Day 14 Fly home to Oz

That's the general direction I wanna take it. Do you have any advice re ommissions? Am I trying to pack too much in? And what activities have you done that are a must?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My rough itinerary for 2 weeks in a campervan. Thoughts?

best plot your course on here - http://maps.aa.co.nz/

you will notice Aoraki/Mt Cook to Franz Josef is a two day drive via Wanaka.

You are best to go Wanaka (stay a day or two) to Aoraki/mt Cook to Chch

if wanting to include Franz and Fox then switch direction - Chch to Hokitika to Franz to Wanaka to Dunedin to Te Anau to Queenstown to Aoraki to Chch.

Katherine, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My rough itinerary for 2 weeks in a campervan. Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice, I wouldn't have thought to travel in that diection. Does it take a lot longer going from Wanaka to Dunedin and then back to Te Anau & Queenstown? It seems a bit zig-zaggy so I'm trying to look at maps, which is a challenge for me...

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My rough itinerary for 2 weeks in a campervan. Thoughts?

Did you plot the itinerary on the link I provided above? Click on 'directions' and enter the entire trip.

the route outlined above covers the apline passes, including the lovely Lindis Pass between Queenstown and Aoraki/mt Cook - my favourite pass.

Your planned drive Chch to Dunedin is considered the least interesting drive in the South Island, i am merely pointing out the most scenic route :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,653 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My rough itinerary for 2 weeks in a campervan. Thoughts?

Do pay attention to the locations of mountains on the map! You can't drive through them at random. Fox Glacier & Aoraki/Mt Cook may look close on a map but you cannot drive where there is no road....

California
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My rough itinerary for 2 weeks in a campervan. Thoughts?

As for your trip to Milford Sound, do return to Te Anau for the night. There's next to nothing at Milford except the cruise dock and a small lodge. If you have a lunch booked at Queenstown the next day, you don't want to be rushed driving 5 hours, Milford-Queenstown, to get there.

Milford has a lot of sandflies, Te Anau does not, to further convince you.

Katherine, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My rough itinerary for 2 weeks in a campervan. Thoughts?

Ok great, thanks because I was originally thinking it would be better to stay at Te Anau as a base for Milford so I'll stick to that.

I did have a look at that map but my internet is incredibly slow so I'll have to wait til I can look at it properly and go from there. I've been trying to find actual routes to calculate the drive times accurately so hopefully this map will help. And that's interesting about the drive from Chch to Dunedin, I thought it would be nice! Oh well, I will take your advice on board :) thanks.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My rough itinerary for 2 weeks in a campervan. Thoughts?

the drive Chch to Dunedin is not the scenic coastal road many imagine it to be. The road is inland crossing mile after mile after mile of flat farmland. There is about 3 minutes of coastline shortly before you reach Dunedin.

8. Re: My rough itinerary for 2 weeks in a campervan. Thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:15