We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

D I Y solo tour of South Island

1 post
Save Topic
D I Y solo tour of South Island

I am seriously thinking of blowing some of my savings on a solo tour of the South Island in either late October or November.I thought about just buying a plane ticket and maybe the first two nights in a hotel on arriving and then hire a car and just mooch around for a couple of weeks.Does this seem feasible bearing in mind that i am in my sixties .I would use the basic tourist hotels and use my credit and debit cards to pay most of my bills.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: D I Y solo tour of South Island

Welcome to TA. I am not sure what your question is? Of course it is possible to travel around NZ in a rental car. Thousands do it every day. Do you mean can it be done without prior bookings - Oct-Nov is a quiet time for tourism so yes, you could probably find accommodation each day, but assuming you have only 2-3 weeks it would be a good idea to have some sort of plan that gets you back to the airport on time for your flight home.

I find it easier to research my travels from the comfort of home and pre-booking accommodation, even a day or two ahead, saves time when you arrive in a strange town.

Read some of the itineraries posted here & enjoy planning your trip.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: D I Y solo tour of South Island

Welcome to the forum Stanley :)

As mentioned, best have a rough idea of where you hope to go and the order in which you plan to travel. The South Island is far larger than it appears on a world map and it will take you longer than anticipated to get from place to place. So you won't cover the entire island in your 3 weeks here.

I would begin by reading some of the many itineraries posted here on the forum to see what is possible.

Happy planning :)

3. Re: D I Y solo tour of South Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 06:17