We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan in July

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Campervan in July

Hi guys, hope i can get answer asap.

My parents and my girlfriend and me plan to travel to NZ for couple of days.

Our original plan was arrival Christchurch at July 11 and leave at Auckland at July 28. (Already book air ticket, plan was 14 days at south land and rest in Auckland).

We planned rent a campervan than go for Greymouth, Fox Glacier , Queenstown, Te Anua, Dunedin, Lake Tekapo than back to Christchurch.

However, when I look through idea from here i change my mind.

It seems really dangerous we drive a camper van through any passes. So that I plan we might can take TrainAplane to Greymouth than back to Christchurch. After that, take a campervan, go Dunedin, Invercargill, couple of days in Te Anau, couple of days in Queenstown, than drive to Lake Tekapo for one night and back to Christchurch.

So my question is, is that Okay we drive this way? btw, we from North of China, so I think we should be Okay if there has icey on road or snow condition.

Thanks guys

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,856 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campervan in July

Welcome to TA. I understand that you are from a cold part f China, but I bet you have good heating in your apartment. Could you cope with temps below zero & very limited heating? (including having to cross frozen grass to use the showers in a campground?) It seems crazy to drop all the scenic parts of your itinerary just for the campervan experience. Can't you change your booking and get a car?

Why Invercargill? There is nothing of great scenic attraction there.

I think you would be better driving north of Chch to Kaikoura, Picton, Nelson, Hanmer Springs etc where you have a very low chance of snow on the roads.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,534 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campervan in July

Your initial route is a good one, just not in a campervan in July - our coldest month of the year.

I suggest a car and motels is far easier driving, far warmer accommodation.

http://www.newzealand.com/int/accommodation/

Best of luck :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campervan in July

I dont mean by we want walk in frozen condition to shower, i mean we could handle the snow and ice road condition. We plan to hire a Maui or Kea campervan, i dont mind we use gas to have some hot water and take shower in the van (although that may cause extra cause on gas). Still thanks for your advise.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campervan in July

Mate, thank you for your advice.

I just look around the car hire company it pretty expensive there.

I know is the lowest price for campervan in those month. However, is there any cheaper car hair company?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,534 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Campervan in July

Apex car rental is affordable and they provide great customer service.

California
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campervan in July

Taking a shower in a campervan is not like taking a shower at the facilities in a holiday park, and even further from taking showers in a motel room. Remember that you have a limited supply of water in your water tank and with four of you, you'll run through that quickly trying to take regular showers. It's usually a matter of turning water on, getting wet, turning water off and soaping up. Then turning water back on briefly to rinse off. The shower is overhead in the same area as the toilet, so you need to wipe everything down when you are done.

Days are very short in the winter, so four of you will be confined to a very small area if staying in a campervan once it gets dark. If it's the kind of campervan where you have to lower the table to make the bed up, then you lose most of your space until you can make up the bed and raise the table again. So everyone has to be on the same schedule and the poor folks who are sleeping on that bed will have to be the last ones to bed and first ones to rise.

I'm just running through some practicalities for you that you might not have thought of. I think camper vans are a great option for two people in summer. But four people in one during winter just sounds like hell to me. Traveling though alpine passes would be the last of my concerns.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Campervan in July

We had a week in a campervan in the North Island in Late October. It was freezing. Check the difference in temperatures between the north and south islands. It will be very cold in a campervan. Campervans sound great but when you discover you have to fill up with water and then find dump stations to get rid of the water and waste then you end up staying in Caravan Parks anyway which have facilites and power to heat your water and van. It is costly to hook up to power in Caravan Parks so you don't save any money in the end.

If you stay in hotels you can share a bedroom - many have two queen size beds in one room. Or you can rent a car and stay in a cabin with ensuite facilities in a caravan park.

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Campervan in July

We own a camper which we keep in the South Island and we are heading down to Queenstown this weekend, because of the recent weather we have booked a holiday house to stay in instead. June/July/August are not great times to be in a campervan in the South Island. The upper North Island you would be fine.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Campervan in July

I think for the sake of the relationship between you, your parents and your girlfriend a campervan is not the recommended way to travel in NZ winter. Especially if you are wanting some luxuries like hot showers and space.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,201 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Campervan in July

I have caravanned and camped in July. We ran the heater low with the window slightly open to avoid condensation. Despite being a bit of a "softy, I was fine. however you do need to be hardy, and it is a bit of a confined space. I don't know if I could share a camper with 3 other people no matter how much I liked them :)

As for the shower size. It is small. However we had a Paris hotel once where the shower was smaller than the one in our caravan. You could not rotate without knocking the tap! It all depends on what you are used to.

The word "Pass" in NZ is used quite losely. Our passes have magnificient scenery, but most of them do not offer challenging driving.